Several years ago, my wife bought me a four pack of Bombas calf height socks for Christmas, They were fairly gaudy socks bur I was impressed that they didn't fall down which has been an issue for me for the fifty years that I have been wearing my Red Wing boots. I year later, she repeated the gift as I was prepared to order from them myself. I now had eight pairs and wore them exclusively. The socks are not cheap, averaging around $15/pr. The only good side is they donate a pair for every pair you buy to charity.

Several pairs developed holes, one from hot solder melting the synthetic yarn and the other two from unknown causes. It urns out that they supposedly have a lifetime guarantee so I contacted Bombas and they agreed to send out replacement socks of equivalent value if I would sen a photo of the damaged socks. I picked out three pairs if a style called a hybrid calf sock which could function as dress socks as well as for work or sport. They are actually more comfortable than the original style.

Cool thread! (Pun intended! :p)

I used to wear cotton socks but discovered Merino wool several years ago. It is the only type of sock I now wear because my feet sweat, even when I'm cold. In fact, I think they sweat more when I am cold. I can't win.

I wear either Smart Wool or Darn Tough almost exclusively now, although I watch for deals on other brands. I am currently wearing a pair of REI-branded Merino wool socks that I got on clearance. For the money, they were a great deal, although they are more "coarse" than others.

I am going to check out Grip6 socks.

Gold Toe are excellent- and I've tried many brands over the years
A good sock won't stretch lengthwise too much, but does expand like it should
A good sock for me should be at least 75% cotton- more is better

Last edited:
Which ones are good for "hot feet"? My feet run warm. I've been using some from REI that have been cool but I need to take out a small loan to buy them.

Which ones are good for "hot feet"? My feet run warm. I've been using some from REI that have been cool but I need to take out a small loan to buy them.

Generally, a wool sock will keep you cool if you buy the correct one. For summer, I wear lightweight, targeted cushioned socks such as these from Smartwool. They are expensive and probably don't last as long as they should, but they work for me. A local store offers a "buy three, get the fourth free," so the cost isn't terrible.
Wool socks wick moisture away from your skin and dissipate it. I have found that wearing these socks and a ventilated Keen shoe is the correct combination for me. It has taken literally a few years to figure that out. I try to find socks with 60% Merino wool, but 55%-ish also works. I also tried Alpaca socks, but they wore out in about 12 wearings. Terrible.

I am tempted to give the 6Grip socks a try, but I also like "fun" socks, which 6Grip doesn't offer.

I am not against cotton at all and have many cotton clothes, but cotton socks will trap moisture and either make your feet stink in the summer or freeze in the winter.

So, since when is $16 - $20 per PAIR acceptable? They're socks for goodness sakes. The sheep must get overtime now.

Been doing the same for many years.

Goldtoe from Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/3aysu837

I don't even fold them anymore. Just one drawer with a pile of the same socks.
I've mentioned this to people in the past and they look at me like I'm from another planet.
Good to see I'm not the only one:)
Goldtoe are my favorite as well… for daily and office…

And these:

e28e9959-4ae4-4f4f-b20d-8912b08e978e.jpeg

@ddickey I went to a couple of different Sievi and Jalas resellers, but they didn’t have socks. Only shoes :guilty: However, I decided to give Bleuforêt a go :geek:

IMG_6640.jpeg

Made in France with asymmetrical design. Let’s see if these are any good, at least Bleuforêt's cross-country skiing socks are highly regarded among winter sports enthusiasts.

Back