Single Point Threading Issue on Lathe

silly question but did you tighten all three adjusters?
I've had work loosen when I've only used one adjuster
Yes. And I tried to re-tightened all before threading operation, but they were as tight as I could get them.

Do yo have any looseness in the cross or compound feed screws? Or on an HLV-H the quick slide might have not been all the way forward. Any of these conditions with the tool set below center could cause it to get "sucked in" and take a sudden heavy cut. You have a nice HLV-H with a quick slide, why are you backing out with the compound?

Do yo have any looseness in the cross or compound feed screws? Or on an HLV-H the quick slide might have not been all the way forward. Any of these conditions with the tool set below center could cause it to get "sucked in" and take a sudden heavy cut. You have a nice HLV-H with a quick slide, why are you backing out with the compound?
No, nothing significant. 3-4 thou of backlash on both cross and compound. Just habit to back out with cross slide (I am not backing out with compound). Thanks

I have a smallish Chinese lathe 250mm x 750mm and rather than turning the jaws round on the chuck for an important job I first turn down sufficient length to a diameter that I can fit and hold well in the jaws the normal way round(you may need to turn the jaws round to get this done first)and supported with the tailstock as well, from the image you have plenty of stock for that unless you have a second opp for that end, even so make allowances for it when selecting stock. Its a waste of material but so is a disaster. As mentioned you can easily turn a tailstock dead centre with the appropriate point. The tailstock not only helps against deflection to some degree but will help keep work in the chuck.

Back