Sad day in my little town

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
At 3:41 this morning the fire department was called out to Drews grocery in Toutle, WA. Store was on fire and 40% involved. It's a total loss. They have been there since 1930. They are famous for their chicken strips and jojos. I routinely would go there for lunch when I had to mail something at the post office 500ft away.

The community really depends on them. There are a lot of retired folks up here and this is their only source of food and gas. Nearest other place is 15 miles.

No one has heard from the owners yet, but it hasn't even been 24 hours. I hope they can rebuild. I'd be willing to help and/or donate to the cause.
drews1.jpgdrews2.jpg

Last edited:
More pics. Definitely a total loss.

Preliminary investigation shows an electrical failure. Pretty much what I thought it was going to be. It was an old building but very well maintained.

When I get my nova running hopefully soon I was going to drive it up there and show the lady I've been talking to about it.
drews3.jpgdrews4.jpgdrews6.jpgdrews5.jpg

Sorry to hear this, I totally understand. We lost our general store almost a year ago when the owner retired. it was supposed to reopen but now it looks like it may not. What was once a 5 minute walk is now a 20 minute drive...
I hope your store reopens soon.

Jojo's potato wedges- I think it's a west coast thing- we had a burger place here that made them too, Clarkes

Last edited:
Perhaps a car-show fund raiser?
Brian
That's a great idea. The drag race track is about 2 miles past the store, so maybe get some of the racers and local car clubs involved. It's pretty early to plan anything yet, still waiting to hear something from the owners.

The store has been in their family for 92 years. I can't even imagine how they are feeling now. I want to help, but don't know how.

Back