Re Painting MY Lathe & Mill

Guys Thanks for all the replies.

I see that many prefer to strip the machine, and others feel a sanding will do fine. Ive been out in the garage looking at both my machines over the last couple of days. I have to look at more than a few things here. The shop is a 1-car garage that is attached to the house. That being said, there isn't much room inside to work, and even less to move the machines to get at them to work on. I have considered moving the lathe out doors to the drive way to do a strip job, but I think it would create more mess on the concrete driveway.

After looking at the lathe, it needs most of the work on the front, top,and sides. So what I think Im going to do is this. I will strip everything I can get unbolted like the tailstock, headstock cover, clutch housing cover, and the LH gear train cover. These are the items that are the worst looking from multi paint jobs over the yrs.

The rest I will sand, and use filler over the rough spots. The parts I will be stripping will be done outside in the driveway laying on sheets of cardboard to keep the mess off the drive way. Being the garage is connected to the house, I don't want to get to many smells coming inside that may get the other half complaining. If I had the room I would
prefer to do a full strip job, and make the lathe look killer. But moving my lathe out doors would be a royal pain as it weighs in over 4,000 pounds.

The pics you guys have posted are great examples of the hard work you have put into your paint and prep work. Thanks for posting them. I will be starting with the lathe first, and between needle scaler, sanding, and some parts being stripped, Im hoping the job looks only half as good as pics you guys have posted. If it does, I,ll be happy with that!

Again, thanks for your replies, and more are welcome.

Paul,

Just another recommendation for CitriStrip. It's easy to work with and really makes no mess if you take your time. I stripped and painted my mill in the basement and fumes were never a problem.

P1050430.JPG

Steve

P1050430.JPG

Hmmm...I may have to give that Citristrip a try. I have a needle scaler already. But I do have 3 or 4 coats of paint on the lathe lol

Chris

Stripped the mill in the basement "jawdrop:

I would have never thought that could be done indoors.
Looks like Im going to see who sells that product here in Canada. Ive stripped a few cars in my past, and all I could remember was it had a very strong smell.

I just don't want to end up in the dog house over the smell. That dog of mine would kick me out, and Id be sleepin on the deck in a sleeping bag. :whistle::whistle::rofl:

I do have to warn you that CitriStrip does have an odor.........smells like citris! :roflmao:

Back