Quill feed trip handle bracket - replace w/ Bridgport part?

jimmcw

Registered
Registered
Long shot but: The quill trip handle bracket (which was cast, fwiw) broke at the handle pivot. Of course by eye, it looks identical to the Bridgeport J-head replacement part which I can find easily online (H&W, eBay, etc). I wonder if anyone has any experience with this particular part regarding replacing w/ the Bridgeport part.

Yes - I could make one, but I have a list of projects and this wasn't on it! I am hoping I can just buy one. I'm still recovering from sticker shock from previous esquires re: spare parts directly to Lagun, lol. I will explore that if I can't determine the Bridgeport part will work directly or w/ minor mods, and that answer could drive me to making my own. I'd just give the Bridgeport part a go if it was a $20 part, but after shipping it is more like $70-$80.

1726699213129.jpeg

Here is a picture of the Bridgeport replacement part:

I got the part off - was more tedious than I expected. Had to use a puller to get it off the shaft. But now I have some dimensions and realize that (of course) the two bores on this part are for metric-dimensions shafts, 12mm and 16mm. And the pin that goes through the handle is 5mm - the corresponding bore and support for that is what broke off on my part.

Anyway - I'm assuming (?) Bridgeport uses Imperial measurements for the most part but I'm still interested to hear if anyone has input. But if it is close ... I can always remove material. Harder to add :)

I now realize that the support for the pin, that broke off today, was in fact only half of the support - the back piece must have been missing since before I acquired the mill and I've just never noticed. I can still operate the lever by just fitting it in and pushing up as I rotate, which made me think ... maybe JB Weld as a temporary fix?

1726709457617.jpeg

It's a bit of a risk, because they probably won't measure anything for you, but you could try Grizzly for a spare. I'd be happy to make in situ measurements of mine (G9901 - no longer sold), if that would help.

GsT

Back