Quick Question: Lathe Tools and toolholders

Even for boring bars with flats? I find that just causes problems, so I lay them up in a standard 250-001 holder without any issues.

Talking of 250-001 toolholders........ @MrWhoopee do you have any 250-001 auto-retract single-point threading tools available?
I'm afraid not. I bought an OXA holder to see if it could be done. They are just too small.

Even for boring bars with flats? I find that just causes problems, so I lay them up in a standard 250-001 holder without any issues.
I also use standard 0XA holders for bars with flats so I can maintain the designed rake. I do have some “multipurpose” ones with the groove so I can use boring head bars.

Back to your original question, I have 2 empty boring bar holders (3/8” & 1/2”), an MT2 (for when I get around to mounting a chuck on the QCTP) and 1-1/2 empty regular/standard holders (the 1/2 is the back side of the lane knurling holder that comes with the start kit):

IMG_8347_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
Yes, magnetic bar mounted on ceiling joists - small shop, unused space is hard to find!

I also have GTN2 & GTN3 tools in standard holders plus a couple of different traditional cut off tool holders.

Becomes another question when I look at the 40 position QCTP I wanted from the beginning though
The multi-fix type?

Yeah it'd be nice but even AliExpress isn't cheap for those, and if a 'proper' version is required, the PeWe multi-fix set is €294 for an Aa toolpost, 2 standard tool holders and a part-off holder. Most of the holders are about €40 euros but there are some more expensive ones.

I think I'll wait until I get a lathe that deserves it. ;):grin:

I use an Aloris AXA post and and a few Aloris holders for critical tools and a bunch of cheap import holders. I leave most of the insert tooling and a few of my favorite hss tools set up in holders with height set properly. I have a couple of floaters that get specialty tools when a job requires it. It’s nice not to have to swap too many tools each job, however if you are using a DRO and set up a complete set of tools for a repeat job, it’s critical to have enough holders for all the tools for the job at once so you can program the offsets into the DRO.
Aloris CXA post on the big lathe gets a lot more tool swapping as the holders are much more expensive. Luckily I don’t need so many tools for those jobs.

I find the same thing to be true with 40 taper tool holders for the mills too. Seems I haven’t gathered enough of them yet as I’m always swapping tools in holders. I only manage to keep a few constantly the same.

I’ve found if you save up a bit and get larger lots at industrial auctions the price per tool holder really drops off from the eBay or import prices and the quality is much better.

I use an Aloris AXA post and and a few Aloris holders for critical tools and a bunch of cheap import holders. I leave most of the insert tooling and a few of my favorite hss tools set up in holders with height set properly. I have a couple of floaters that get specialty tools when a job requires it. It’s nice not to have to swap too many tools each job, however if you are using a DRO and set up a complete set of tools for a repeat job, it’s critical to have enough holders for all the tools for the job at once so you can program the offsets into the DRO.
Aloris CXA post on the big lathe gets a lot more tool swapping as the holders are much more expensive. Luckily I don’t need so many tools for those jobs.

I find the same thing to be true with 40 taper tool holders for the mills too. Seems I haven’t gathered enough of them yet as I’m always swapping tools in holders. I only manage to keep a few constantly the same.

I’ve found if you save up a bit and get larger lots at industrial auctions the price per tool holder really drops off from the eBay or import prices and the quality is much better.

TBF, I have found a source for the tool holders for my Wedge Gib QCTP that is relatively inexpensive, though I am swapping the four hold down grub screws out with 12.9 when I do buy them. Also have to go through and swap the overlength height studs for shorter ones, again, of 12.9.

In the grand scheme of things, they are not expensive. If I went to"Arc", I would be paying 20% more which I am not about to do given how that would add up to losing out on several holders Vs my current source.

As regards this:

I would need to re-arrange two drawers and evict some metrology equipment to place all the cutting-tools together in one single drawer....

Decided to just go with it, evict the metrology and put it into a small toolbox in a cabinet for now. I need the cutting tools all together in one drawer more than I need that particualr metrology so easily to hand.

The multi-fix type?

I think I'll wait until I get a lathe that deserves it.

@SouthernChap

Less about " a lathe that deserves it", more about what I am used to. I prefer the Multifix over Wedge gib as they (from prior experience) have proven more consistent and far easier to swing to a different angle, then return to the "neutral" (normal) position, especially when swinging the compound over.

I loathe having to swing my toolpost around and then mess about getting it realigned. so much faff, too time consuming.

Last edited:
Less about " a lathe that deserves it", more about what I am used to. I prefer the Multifix over Wedge gib as they (from prior experience) have proven more consistent and far easier to swing to a different angle, then return to the "neutral" (normal) position, especially when swinging the compound over.

I loathe having to swing my toolpost around and then mess about getting it realigned. so much faff, too time consuming.
Yeah, that's a good point. That is the one of the attractions of the multi-fix.

For me, right now, if I'm going to spend money on tooling, it has to be something I absolutely need (went a bit 'over-budget' over the past 6 months, due to Charter Auctions having a lot of stuff that I fancied), and I need to get the lathe rebuilt for this 'Tranche' and then after a time go on to add other the improvements in the other tranches.

Eh, to be fair, whilst it's a fair chunk of change, I might get myself an Aa PeWe set and a few holders as a reward for finishing all the improvements.

Bit of a random one, but something I am mulling over / considering at the moment.

With your lathe tools, do you have a toolholder for each and every tool, or do you keep a couple of "floater" tool holders and leave some tools unmounted?

I was going through my lathe tools and was counting the amount of toolholders I would need to mount all of my tools when I stopped and wondered whether it would be better to leave the rarely used tools unmounted and keep a couple of "floater" tool holders in the drawer so that I could mount the rarely used tools only when I need them.

Am I missing something here, or am I the only one that has considered/is considering using this approach?
If you could count the miriad things you can do on a lathe you would quickly realize there are way too many to have a tool holder for each of them.

I find this very curious. I removed the compound on my PM-1340GT and replaced it with a solid tool post to get more rigidity. This means my Dorian BXA is in a fixed position, square to the CL of the spindle. Even with this setup, I very rarely feel like I need the ability to rotate the tool - and I do just about every type of turning, including threading in this configuration. For me, the only time I take off the solid tool post and reinstall the compound is to turn tapers. Minority opinion perhaps, but I'm not the only one on this forum who sees the benefits of a solid tool post outweighing the rotational flexibility of a pivoting tool holder on a compound.

Back