Quick Question: Lathe Tools and toolholders

GrifterGuru

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Bit of a random one, but something I am mulling over / considering at the moment.

With your lathe tools, do you have a toolholder for each and every tool, or do you keep a couple of "floater" tool holders and leave some tools unmounted?

I was going through my lathe tools and was counting the amount of toolholders I would need to mount all of my tools when I stopped and wondered whether it would be better to leave the rarely used tools unmounted and keep a couple of "floater" tool holders in the drawer so that I could mount the rarely used tools only when I need them.

Am I missing something here, or am I the only one that has considered/is considering using this approach?

With your lathe tools, do you have a toolholder for each and every tool, or do you keep a couple of "floater" tool holders and leave some tools unmounted?
Yes , not a billionear yet . I had a lot of Aloris holders over the years , but not nearly enough for every lathe tool . :eek:

If you're careful how you sharpen your HSS tools, you can switch cutting tools without moving the holder. Just establish a common type tool shape and run like the wind.

Of course that won't work for all tools, but for some, yeah.

Well, I've got 15 holders and that covers most every cutter that I frequently use. On the rare occasion I need a different one I'll swap it out.
I've got a Dorian toolpost but for me, the $30 chinese BXA holders are fine. Every cutter has a different height relative to centerline and I just can't be bothered with re-setting the holders frequently.

Set it, and forget it.

Most high dollar insert holders and inserts are CNC qualified/certified . The shanks are identical in length to the insert tip and also height . Not sure about the off sure stuff . This is a simple swap between toolholders on a manual lathe . Multiple heights on a CNC with turret is a PITA , that's why all we used were certified .

Well, I've got 15 holders and that covers most every cutter that I frequently use. On the rare occasion I need a different one I'll swap it out.
I've got a Dorian toolpost but for me, the $30 chinese BXA holders are fine. Every cutter has a different height relative to centerline and I just can't be bothered with re-setting the holders frequently.

Set it, and forget it.

I have an OXA Wedge Gib QCTP at the moment.

Serves me well enough for my current needs and the 18 tools I have mounted are my "usual suspects" that I use on a regular basis for one job or another. Becomes another question when I look at the 40 position QCTP I wanted from the beginning though, with tool-holders enough for all current tools plus spares as floaters, I would be looking at £1450 GBP!!

Were I to mount everything I would need another 18 toolholders over what I currently have. TBF though, at the current cost they are not too expensive and it is an achievable goal, it is just the "storage" question. I would need to re-arrange two drawers and evict some metrology equipment to place all the cutting-tools together in one single drawer....

Should I go that route, I would need a (small/benchtop size) )tool cabinet to house just the metrology equipment and I already have enough toolboxes/cabinets as it is.

$30! I just paid $10 each on eBay.

I keep a couple of floaters, the 250-102 with the groove for boring bars etc.

Even for boring bars with flats? I find that just causes problems, so I lay them up in a standard 250-001 holder without any issues.

Talking of 250-001 toolholders........ @MrWhoopee do you have any 250-001 auto-retract single-point threading tools available?

Back