Quick ? On Dividing head

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm thinking of a deviding head for my PM935, to make some Timing belt pulleys on a project. BS-0 or BS-1? Does the extra inch make a difference? Or is it to large for a 935tv mill?
CH

I've been looking at Precision Matthews' dividing heads as well but was holding out for the BS-2 Full Universal. I don't think either will be too large for that mill. How big will your pulleys need to be? With the hundred-dollar price difference, do you really need the extra 2 1/8" swing of the BS-1? The BS-0 says 7 7/8ths compared to the 10" swing of the BS-1. Consider the weight difference as well, if you anticipate having to lift it up there on your own.

I have a BS-0 size head for my Burke Millrite with an 8x32 table, it could probably handle a BS-1 size head, and I might upgrade to that some day, but I will likely make a riser for it if I need a bigger swing rather than upgrade due to the weight difference. The PM site doesn’t list the weights, but Penn Tools shows a weight of the BS-0 size of 45lbs without chuck, and the -1 is 80lbs without chuck. I wouldn’t want to lift that on to my table and would need some sort of hoist for it since I am not getting any younger. One advantage of the BS-1, the through hole is a bit larger and might help with some projects, but it’s small enough of a difference that it is not much of a selling point unless I had a job that had to go through the spindle, or I needed larger collets to hold on to the work.

I have a BS-0 size head for my Burke Millrite with an 8x32 table, it could probably handle a BS-1 size head, and I might upgrade to that some day, but I will likely make a riser for it if I need a bigger swing rather than upgrade due to the weight difference. The PM site doesn’t list the weights, but Penn Tools shows a weight of the BS-0 size of 45lbs without chuck, and the -1 is 80lbs without chuck. I wouldn’t want to lift that on to my table and would need some sort of hoist for it since I am not getting any younger. One advantage of the BS-1, the through hole is a bit larger and might help with some projects, but it’s small enough of a difference that it is not much of a selling point unless I had a job that had to go through the spindle, or I needed larger collets to hold on to the work.
My BS-2 is in the 70ish pound range.

I've been looking at Precision Matthews' dividing heads as well but was holding out for the BS-2 Full Universal. I don't think either will be too large for that mill. How big will your pulleys need to be? With the hundred-dollar price difference, do you really need the extra 2 1/8" swing of the BS-1? The BS-0 says 7 7/8ths compared to the 10" swing of the BS-1. Consider the weight difference as well, if you anticipate having to lift it up there on your own.
Unless you plan to connect to your table to turn helix, worm gears or rifling buttons the BS-2 may not be what you want.

I'm thinking of a deviding head for my PM935, to make some Timing belt pulleys on a project. BS-0 or BS-1? Does the extra inch make a difference? Or is it to large for a 935tv mill?
CH
BS-1 would work nicely on that mill and speaking from personal experience the dividing heads offered by PM are nice units, I like mine.

Back