QCTP too tall

chris.epp

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I recently got a used lathe, 11x22 King Canada (essentially the grizzlwg G0602) and ordered the supposedly matching QCTP from king canada. It accepts up to 1/2 tooling, which I got, but after installing it, with 1/2 tooling its too tall, with the holder all the way down the top od the 1/2 tool can't go low enough to be positioned at the zero point. It's probably just about 1/8 too high. Any suggestions on route to go? Get something machined to remove the cross slide? Machine down the tool holder so it can go lower? Or buy 3/8 in tooling. (I THINK that will justmake it.) Also, I need to turn some stainless. If I have to buy new tooling hss or carbide for a machine like this?

Lots to learn.. looking forward to it!

Why not use 1/4" tooling? It's pretty standard for lathes of that size
Just trying to keep everything as ridgid ad possible. Granted I'm sure the cross slide itself is probably the weakest part in that link already. If there is no reason to not use smaller tooling sounds good to me. Hopefully parting tool will be low enough. 3/8 might work also.

Any suggestions between hss and carbon?

First I would check that you got the right size tool post for that lathe. You should be able to use 3/8 tool bits with room to adjust the height of the tool bit. I would not even consider trying to machine the tool post or the compound. There are QCTPs that fit your lathe.

First I would check that you got the right size tool post for that lathe. You should be able to use 3/8 tool bits with room to adjust the height of the tool bit. I would not even consider trying to machine the tool post or the compound. There are QCTPs that fit your lathe.
It is the correct one, I checked that. It is the one from the same manufacturer and correct part. Could be just a limit of not being able to use 1/2 tools? Tool post itself sits flush on cross slide so nothing can be lower. The tool holder perhaps if the channel for the tooling was cut lower to the bottom of it would work with 1/2 tools.

You don't say what size toolpost it is. Sounds like it might be a BXA (250-2xx) which is on the large side for an 11" machine. Seems like an AXA (250-1xx) would be a better fit, and they will easily accommodate 1/2" tools.

Learning to grind HSS is definitely a skill you will want to acquire, but for machining stainless (unless 303) carbide is probably the best choice.

Last edited:
You don't say what size toolpost it is. Sounds like it might be a BXA (250-2xx) which is on the large side for an 11" machine. Seems like an AXA (250-1xx) would be a better fit, and they will easily accommodate 1/2" tools.

Learning to grind HSS is definitely a skill you will want to acquire, but for machining stainless (unless 303) carbide is probably the best choice.
They don't use the AXA and BXA in their literature, this is the one. https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...hes/kqct-0012-7-pc-quick-change-tool-post-kit. 250-100. I believe that is AXA though yes. I 3d printed some tool holder mounts for AXA and they fit. 1/2 tooling fits in them but sit too high.

I definitely want to learn to grind HSS, but I understand pre ground tools are a good start so you get an idea what the tools you grind should be like? Are problems me or the grind etc? I have a small bench grinder I should look for a quality older big one probably ly. But I also have a 2x72 belt grinder, not sure if for hss grinding that is as good with the correct belts?

Really appreciate all the insights everyone, for a total newbie in this arena.

I just looked at your lathe on the king Canada page.

A few questions. Did it come with the 4 position turret type tool holder? If so how does a 1/2” tool sit In that? Is it above center?

Also looking at the pictures. The compound is pretty tall. Not giving you much height variables. I would opt for the OXA and use 1/4” or 5/16” tools. 3/8” might even work. Those tools are substantial enough to do almost everything you need. If you are worried about stiffness Choke up on the tools. Have as little overhang as possible. The flexing will occur with heavy cuts. Finish passes will be a non issue.

If you want to stick with what you have. You will have a few options.

1)If you are set on 1/2” or possibly 3/8”. You will need to mill off stock from the bottom of all your holders so you can get the tool low enough. Don’t machine your compound.
2)simply use 5/16” or 1/4” tooling.

3) not optimal but stick with the 4 position turret holder if 1/2” tooling works.

JMO

Cutting oil is my blood.

They don't use the AXA and BXA in their literature, this is the one. https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...hes/kqct-0012-7-pc-quick-change-tool-post-kit. 250-100. I believe that is AXA though yes. I 3d printed some tool holder mounts for AXA and they fit. 1/2 tooling fits in them but sit too high.
Yes, that would be an AXA, which is the Aloris designation. Sounds like the top of the compound is higher than most lathes in that size range. The 250-101T (XL) toolholders have a larger slot with a portion of that removed from the bottom, but I don't know if it is enough. If you have a mill you can machine the bottom of the toolholders. They are hard, but not that hard (HRc 40-42). I do a lot of machining on those import holders, milling is not too bad, tapping is a challenge.

Back