Precision Matthews PM-833TV vs ????

I have a quote on a 10-54 knee mill for $12k. Like the 940 the spindle speed is 5,000 rpm. The problem is trying to contain the chips and oil/coolant that's going to fly 12 feet in all directions at that speed. Way easier to build an enclosure around a 940 (or 833) vs a knee mill. So I'm mulling over getting a 940. Also got it in my head to convert to zero backlash double nut ball screws, that's going to be less expensive with a 940. Servos will cost less than a knee. The 940 has been converted to CNC by others numerous times already.
B2 bought one when they had a CNC version but for some reason they used the 940M which made 0 sense to me, the 940V would be far better suited.

Precision Mathews has the following links on there website for the 940V (in case you are interested):

Arizona Video CNC Kits: https://www.arizonacnckits.com/pm-940-cnc-kit.html
Power Drawbar Kit:
PM-940V Priest Tools Power Drawbar https://priesttools.com/product/power-drawbar-precision-matthews-pm-940v/

B2 bought one when they had a CNC version but for some reason they used the 940M which made 0 sense to me, the 940V would be far better suited.

Precision Mathews has the following links on there website for the 940V (in case you are interested):

Arizona Video CNC Kits: https://www.arizonacnckits.com/pm-940-cnc-kit.html
Power Drawbar Kit:
PM-940V Priest Tools Power Drawbar https://priesttools.com/product/power-drawbar-precision-matthews-pm-940v/
I had checked them out a few weeks back. I wonder if they are still in the business in a serious way, are people still ordering these kits? One issue for me is, many years ago I went down this path of converting one of these mills to CNC with a 'kit'. That was a $10,000 fiasco. I vowed never again.

I had checked them out a few weeks back. I wonder if they are still in the business in a serious way, are people still ordering these kits? One issue for me is, many years ago I went down this path of converting one of these mills to CNC with a 'kit'. That was a $10,000 fiasco. I vowed never again.
I've not converted to CNC yet so I cannot speak to the kits quality, just throwing it out there.

I did find an interesting web site full of possible projects though...

Aren't you 6' 6" it's dinky in comparison. ;)

My wife’s already looking at me like I’m crazy for buying a 750lb machine when I don’t have any real definitive need for it other than wanting a decent milling machine so I don’t need to push my luck

I just don’t have a way to move a bigger machine around safely. A man’s got to know his limitations.

I also have too much stuff in my shop already

My wife’s already looking at me like I’m crazy for buying a 750lb machine when I don’t have any real definitive need for it other than wanting a decent milling machine so I don’t need to push my luck

I just don’t have a way to move a bigger machine around safely. A man’s got to know his limitations.

I also have too much stuff in my shop already
Oh man you got the wife stink eye, got it.

Oh man you got the wife stink eye, got it.

Yeah she’s very understanding of my hobbies overall but I generally have an end goal with them.

With this it’s not so much an end goal it’s more of an I’ve wanted one for 20 years and just decided to take the plunge now.

Who knows what will happen in the future and I’m not getting any younger.

Yeah she’s very understanding of my hobbies overall but I generally have an end goal with them.

With this it’s not so much an end goal it’s more of an I’ve wanted one for 20 years and just decided to take the plunge now.

Who knows what will happen in the future and I’m not getting any younger.

I have barely even scratched the surface of the things I bought a lathe and mill for, sometimes I feel like I haven't done anything with them.

When I stop and think about it though I realize that while I haven't done a lot of the hobby things I bought them to do, they have been great tools to have. They have been used for quite a few little things that have nothing to do with the reasons I bought them for. I've been able to fix things that probably would have had to been tossed out, made little greeblies to use around the house, custom mounting blocks, mounting pins, plugs, spacers etc. Nothing huge or world changing, and honestly probably not at all cost effective but still satisfying to be able to solve little issues.

Like last year we replaced a TV that died. When we went to mount the new TV on the old mount the spacers didn't fit. My wife and I were looking at it and thinking, well we could go buy some washers and stack them, but I remembered I have a lathe. 30 minutes in the basement and I had spacers that fit.

I have barely even scratched the surface of the things I bought a lathe and mill for, sometimes I feel like I haven't done anything with them.

When I stop and think about it though I realize that while I haven't done a lot of the hobby things I bought them to do, they have been great tools to have. They have been used for quite a few little things that have nothing to do with the reasons I bought them for. I've been able to fix things that probably would have had to been tossed out, made little greeblies to use around the house, custom mounting blocks, mounting pins, plugs, spacers etc. Nothing huge or world changing, and honestly probably not at all cost effective but still satisfying to be able to solve little issues.

Like last year we replaced a TV that died. When we went to mount the new TV on the old mount the spacers didn't fit. My wife and I were looking at it and thinking, well we could go buy some washers and stack them, but I remembered I have a lathe. 30 minutes in the basement and I had spacers that fit.
I have been cutting bushings for people lately, made a little money but there is a huge satisfaction in hitting the tight tolerances required.

Back