2018 POTD Thread Archive

Made a step for my tractor mower.
GEDC3473.JPG

In 1992 I removed the original step when I made the first mower deck for this tractor. I originally thought that I should make a new step of some sort but I will try it first to see how the mower works.
So after 16 years I finally got around to it.

GEDC3476.JPG

And while I was at it I made a shift knob.

GEDC3477.JPG

Thanks for looking
Ray

Continuing with this project (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-575060)

Got about 1/2 done making the new output adapter:
IMG_1119.jpg

Hard to believe, but the welding on this is even worse than on the previous one, since I'm using 14 gauge sheetmetal instead of 1/8". And it won't look as nicely curved as the previous one... And I managed to set the plastic bags on my workbench on fire (I have way too much crap on the bench and haven't made the time to reorg the garage to have more/better storage).

I made some toe dogs.

I've been intrigued by these ever since I got my shaper. Maybe because they're "old school" or the fact that you don't see them being used anymore, I just wanted to try some.

The concept is pretty simple: screw applies pressure at a downward angle, thereby holding the stock horizontally as well as keeping it firmly seated on the table. The interface between the angled screw and the stock is the dog. I'd seen a few diagrams of them in use in various books and figured I should be able to pull something together from there.

image.jpeg

I knew I would want to harden them, so I chose W1 drill rod as the material. After drilling a small socket on one end for the adjustment screw to lock in to, I made a little jig to hold the parts while I ground the two faces. Do one face, loosen the binder and rotate the part, do the other face. There are pointed versions as well, but I decided to use this modified spade shape for my first set.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The screws are just regular socket head set screws with one end turned down to fit the socket in the dog. At first there was a tendency for the dog to rotate as the screw was tightened, so I turned a slight point on the end of the screw and that seemed to help. Still a bit fussy at times, but that could also be operator error too.

image.jpeg

To the test -- ran a few light passes on a scrap of 1018 and everything stayed put. Took one final one with the shear tool and called it an evening.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

-frank

I like how you put the grate on rails to slide out. Does the grate extend out when you open the lid? Are all 14 smokers of the same design?

No..you have to slide it out.people slide out when meat is done.last 14 are all the same.some drums are oval.some round.shorter.fatter.i have fun naming them..boss hawg.super boss hawg..fat boy.piglet cooker.Lou-Lou..some have separate wood box on end.depends on what someone wants..or think they want

Reactions: Z2V
I know that you guys in the Carolina’s like your BBQ as much as we do here in Texas. Nice work

I do all I can to teach people what real bbq is..I grew up in Little Rock..all my kin are in Dallas area.I've turned a lot of people on to Ar.Tx style bbq.been making my own sauce for years.here they put red pepper flakes in vinegar then apply to pork..it's good BUT....I know bbq is different everywhere you go.everyone thinks theirs is the best..but we all know where real bbq came from..haha

Reactions: Z2V
Yea, here we just use salt and pepper and seasoned oak. Let the meat speak for itself.

There is consumer BBQ and there is conisiour BBQ. I know where we are!!

Back