POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

That's one classy looking door bell button!

Reactions: rwm
Today i finished reorganising the shed, Started with the heavy stuff, like rear axles, gearboxes and finished with liter stuff like rims. I also sweep the sidewalk in the first picture and desposed off the empty boxes. There is still some space in that shed but i still have about 10 wheels that need to be taken apart and i may want to keep the rims from them. Its been hard but satisfying work this couple of days.
View attachment 416479View attachment 416480View attachment 416481View attachment 416482
Hard work for sure. Lot of valuable parts there, I'm sure you will be able to re-use most of them (now that you can find them)!

Have had this small cement mixer for some time, plastic drum, great idea, easy to clean and hardened cement flacks off. Plastic bull gear and plastic worm, not so great an idea.
Measured the pitch as 14 mm off the worm and confirmed off the dia and number of teeth on the bull gear. The od of the worm was a bit of a guess as there wasn't much left to work with lol. Looked like 14.5 deg pressure angle.
Forgot to get a picture before I installed it. The remains of the old one to compare.

IMG_2022-08-02_16-47-16.jpeg

Greg

I've actually had this up for a bit, but just getting around to getting pictures. I rarely need a press, and when I have needed one it was for small stuff. Fitting between the uprights of the shop shelving, this mini press practially disappears untill I need it. It's only a six ton bottle jack, but I doubt I'll ever need more than that.

Attachments

• DSC05032.JPG
    DSC05032.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 34
That's clever!

Today I spent most of the day making a t nut and rider block for a friend's Sheldon 11 lathe. Would have been easy but for a) the compound having been broken and badly repaired, so the slot was asymmetric and tilted and b) me grabbing what must have been a piece of tool steel from my scrap drawer.

Problem a) resulted in lots of trial and error, but we ended up getting a good fit.

Problem b) resulted in a dull bandsaw band, a used up angle grinder disk, a chipped carbide endmill and a chipped tap. I even had to chamfer the edges with a Dremel as my files would barely cut it! Oh and a dull drill bit, had to use a #3 carbide drill to finish the first tap hole!

T nut from hell
IMG20220807184403.jpg
With riser block installed
IMG20220807183948.jpg
With his old oxa tool post (from my old Atlas 618 that I sold him a couple of years ago!) Installed in one of three positions
IMG20220807184500.jpg
Left over piece of mystery scrap from hell, with warning sign
IMG20220807184933.jpg

He'll get an AXA sized tool post when he frees up some funds selling his (my!) old lathe

I can't believe you continued once you realized it was tool steel! No way!
It was a mix of "nah, it can't be that bad" and stubborn bloody mindedness. Bit miffed about the bandsaw band, but it only cost me $6 and I have a spare :) Drilling and tapping the two holes for the riser plate screws was the worst part though, seriously nail biting.

After reading about the North Macedonia economy, I can understand why you would keep anything that might be usable. I suspect may of us on the forum are pack rats also.
It's not that, i'm being plage by murphy's law. Those parts are only for vehicles i personally own and members of my family own. The past has shown many times if i throw away a usable part, in a few days i'll need that exact part because it will broke on one of my cars.

The past has shown many times if i throw away a usable part, in a few days i'll need that exact part...
...Because this is EXACTLY how things work! Any time you get rid of something to free up space, that exact thing is needed days later! However, if you never throw it away, you'll never need it!

So, my shop if full of stuff I don't need, because I don't want to fix it! LOL :)

Saturday was spent rushing to get grass planted, so that I could take advantage of the rain that was supposed to happen Saturday evening. Of course that rain never came. However, since that was done I spent yesterday afternoon reorganizing my tool boxes. The new boxes arrived, so it was finally time to get things organized. Now the smaller empty box gets moved to the machine shop to start reorganizing there.

Back