POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

@koenbro

Do you have a link to the yellow corrugated hose? It looks like a natural gas appliance hose and I wonder what pressure it's rated for.

Today I installed a multistage filter and dryer for my compressor with a manifold so now I can have the plasma and the mill connected and don’t need to swap out hoses.
Having enough outlets is always nice!

I piped air from my big shop, through the workshop, basement in the house, and attached garage to the house. I ended up going with Pex-Al-Pex heating pipe. It's really cheap, connectors are cheap, it pulls like romex wire, and it's fast to hook up. I did use the copper crush ring style crimps, and did double ring just to be sure.

Might be something to consider if you want to run air pipe. Be sure to get oxygen barrier pex. Regular pex will seal the air, but without the metal in between pex layers it can balloon out an pop (or so I've heard). 300 foot roll of 1/2" Pex-Al-Pex was around $70 when I piped everything up. Local heating and plumbing supplier sold me the connectors I needed, and even let me borrow a crimper for the weekend.

Dan

I have had a nice paying gig come thru my shop, it is quite complex with lots of parts. I can't show to much here for confidentiality reasons but I will share my progress on three rollers.

• 5/8" shafts
  • 3 7/8" diameter rollers
  • rollers held to shafts with keyed shaft collars
  • bearings fixed to shafts with set screws so flats on the shaft for that
  • sprockets keyed to shafts.
  • Keyways are only 3/16" so HPF (high pucker factor)
roller dwg.JPG

The most complex of the shafts
1658496085218.png

turning the OD of the roller using my diamond tool holder.

20220721_224637.jpg

Using a parting tool (as deep as it would go) to start the veeing process

20220721_231153.jpg

Ready to start phase one of the taper turning with my diamond tool holder, then deeper with the parting blade and more tapering.

20220721_233425.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Just connect it to your gas meter and turn on the compressor. Run your meter backwards for a while.
THat could be hazardous! Adding air back into a gas line might result in a combustible (explosive) mixture. Better and safer to plug off the end of the flex hose and leak test it well away from any gas connections

Having enough outlets is always nice!

I piped air from my big shop, through the workshop, basement in the house, and attached garage to the house. I ended up going with Pex-Al-Pex heating pipe. It's really cheap, connectors are cheap, it pulls like romex wire, and it's fast to hook up. I did use the copper crush ring style crimps, and did double ring just to be sure.

Might be something to consider if you want to run air pipe. Be sure to get oxygen barrier pex. Regular pex will seal the air, but without the metal in between pex layers it can balloon out an pop (or so I've heard). 300 foot roll of 1/2" Pex-Al-Pex was around $70 when I piped everything up. Local heating and plumbing supplier sold me the connectors I needed, and even let me borrow a crimper for the weekend.

Dan
Wow, that's less than a 100 foot air hose. I didn't know pex al pex existed. I have watched pressure tests of hot water in pex, and it exceeded the specs nicely. I would feel comfortable with pex w/o the AL, but at 70 for 300 feet, (are you sure you didn't typo?) it seems like a no brainer

Today after few days rest from working in the garage i made some more progress on the shop air supply. In the few days i did bought more elbow, pipe holders and other brass fittings and valves. I started on the opposite end of the garage, mounted it, then went to my machine shop and finished pipe over the small entry door. There i had to drill 25mm hole in between power cables to come out next to my tool board. With those pipes hot glued i went to the opposite end and made and mounted the pipe over the big garage door. With less than 2m pipe to run i run out of pipes. I also need to buy some more fittings. This small project little by little is costing me more then 100$ in parts. I hope you all like seeing staff like this, i could have been done in one day but part shortages and other tasks made this in a week long project.
IMG_20220712_171132.jpgIMG_20220712_191746.jpgIMG_20220713_202639.jpgIMG_20220713_202621.jpgIMG_20220713_202600.jpgIMG_20220713_202607.jpg

I have an older Eagle Rock knurling tool that requires one to press put the pins to change the wheels. The first time I tried to do so, I found the task tricky and wished I had a couple extra hands. Today I made a little fixture to hold the tool and a punch pin to facilitate wheel changes:
815dab8c1888ee512be46adc60a8432b.jpg

Back