PayPal and supporting Hobby Machinist related issues

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wanted to start a separate thread about ways to support Hobby Machinist. This is a place holder.

works for me, as i stated for some specific reasons i do not do paypal, i would like to support HM but just need another way to transfer the funds.

lol Venmo is part of paypal. I will set it up as long as i do not have to link my bank account to it.

Absolutely....

Little winky face means I'm kinda joking but I would totally be willing to send in donations for other members if it would be okay with site management.

I'm sure there are many possible problems with this, but I'm one who always suggests people donate to get the appropriate access to this site. As someone who worked in IT for a very long time I do understand not wanting to do business with FANG or any of the other tech entities that exploit the internet without giving anything back. That's one of the things I like about hanging out here, I don't feel like I'm being monetized by the site organizers.

There are very good reasons for centralizing donation payments and I also understand why the site organizers did so, dealing with personal checks would be a nightmare and having a merchant account wouldn't make sense for just donations.

Hopefully we can come up with another alternative for folks who want to donate but not use PayPal. BTW, you can do one time transactions without linking to a bank account as long as you have a credit card. You could even get a gift card if you don't want to use your regular CC.

Finally, if you sign up as a "Lifetime Diamond Member" you'll never have to do it again :grin:

John

Absolutely....

Little winky face means I'm kinda joking but I would totally be willing to send in donations for other members if it would be okay with site management.

I'm sure there are many possible problems with this, but I'm one who always suggests people donate to get the appropriate access to this site. As someone who worked in IT for a very long time I do understand not wanting to do business with FANG or any of the other tech entities that exploit the internet without giving anything back. That's one of the things I like about hanging out here, I don't feel like I'm being monetized by the site organizers.

There are very good reasons for centralizing donation payments and I also understand why the site organizers did so, dealing with personal checks would be a nightmare and having a merchant account wouldn't make sense for just donations.

Hopefully we can come up with another alternative for folks who want to donate but not use PayPal. BTW, you can do one time transactions without linking to a bank account as long as you have a credit card. You could even get a gift card if you don't want to use your regular CC.

Finally, if you sign up as a "Lifetime Diamond Member" you'll never have to do it again :grin:

John
I looked at that but you still need to use paypal lol

I looked at that but you still need to use paypal lol
Yes, the current setup requires someone to have a PayPal account. If you don't want to transact any of your money through them, one of our admins will have to come up with another way to donate.

If it's just a matter that you don't want to have your own PayPal account maybe there's someone in your circle of family and friends that can help out.

Again, if you choose the lifetime membership option it'll be a one time deal.

John

Yes, the current setup requires someone to have a PayPal account. If you don't want to transact any of your money through them, one of our admins will have to come up with another way to donate.

If it's just a matter that you don't want to have your own PayPal account maybe there's someone in your circle of family and friends that can help out.

Again, if you choose the lifetime membership option it'll be a one time deal.

John
I have a paypal, they shut it down because i refused to link my bank to it. I have not tried to use it lately.

I have no problem with one time $150 for a diamond membership, just need a way to pay it.

Back