Night Shift.

How do You know they are not complaining? Is the an ant translator I don't know about? Maybe today's complainers are tomorrows dinner!;)

I am convinced that fire ants are the reason I do not see many if any wild rabbits and quail anymore. used to hear bob white all over the place and I haven't heard one in years...

Last edited:
I am convinced that fire ants are the reason I do not see many if any wild rabbits and quail anymore. used to hear bob white all over the place and I haven't heard on in years...
That or the continuing removal of there natural habitat. But it's probably the fire ants.

I am convinced that fire ants are the reason I do not see many if any wild rabbits and quail anymore. used to hear bob white all over the place and I haven't heard one in years...
I see plenty of wild rabbits and squirrels among other ground animals. Quail are on the verge of extinction. I love the sound of the BobWhites and when I was a kid would whistle back at them. Texas parks and Wildlife say that it is modern farming practices that have hurt the Bobwhite population in Texas. Too much open area for predators like hawks to get them. There is a great article on quail management on You Tube. I thought my property would be excellent for quail but they need land that they can run but also hide . My property is too grown up with weeds for them to survive now. Also the #1 cause of Quail death is the mosquito. they carry Fowl Pox. I love the little birds so much I once hatched out some Bobwhite eggs and released them.

I see plenty of wild rabbits and squirrels among other ground animals. Quail are on the verge of extinction. I love the sound of the BobWhites and when I was a kid would whistle back at them. Texas parks and Wildlife say that it is modern farming practices that have hurt the Bobwhite population in Texas. Too much open area for predators like hawks to get them. There is a great article on quail management on You Tube. I thought my property would be excellent for quail but they need land that they can run but also hide . My property is too grown up with weeds for them to survive now. Also the #1 cause of Quail death is the mosquito. they carry Fowl Pox. I love the little birds so much I once hatched out some Bobwhite eggs and released them.
I use to whistle back at them also, I loved to hear them. Where the farm is you use to not be able to swing a cat without scaring up a dozen little rabbit and we set on the front porch and watched the jack rabbits play, I'll bet its been 40 years since I saw a jack rabbit. I was squirl hunting in Nacogdoches, TX in 1983 with a friend on their family land there was a shallow swale that drained into a shallow spring fed creek and I stepped off into it right into the middle of a covey of quail and they did exactly what a covey of quail do, took off straight up as fast as they could making that distinct swooshing noise, I stood there statue still, heart beating 3 times a second, eyes wide open contemplating each deep breath until the rest of my soul caught up with my body. I truly miss such things.

I once read that the total mass of the ants on the planet is greater than the total mass of the humans.

A weird idea, but perhaps understandable...... and a little humbling.

Brian
I think were outweighed by bugs in general something like a billion times.

I use to whistle back at them also, I loved to hear them. Where the farm is you use to not be able to swing a cat without scaring up a dozen little rabbit and we set on the front porch and watched the jack rabbits play, I'll bet its been 40 years since I saw a jack rabbit. I was squirl hunting in Nacogdoches, TX in 1983 with a friend on their family land there was a shallow swale that drained into a shallow spring fed creek and I stepped off into it right into the middle of a covey of quail and they did exactly what a covey of quail do, took off straight up as fast as they could making that distinct swooshing noise, I stood there statue still, heart beating 3 times a second, eyes wide open contemplating each deep breath until the rest of my soul caught up with my body. I truly miss such things.
Whiskey the farther west in Texas you go the more Jackrabbits you will see. I had also thought they had become extinct until I took a job driving a truck and one night on the way to Lubbock somewhere between the 6666 Ranch and the Pitchfork on highway 82 i must have seen at least a couple of hundred on the sides of the road all eating a midnight snack together. Because of the size of those ranches the wildlife habitat has been left undisturbed. Some of the biggest prettiest Mule Deer I have ever seen. Here in North Texas, I have Whitetails eating in my front and back yard regularly but no Mulies and no Jackrabbits. I even saw Jackrabbits playing on Quaker Avenue in Lubbock.

The Bobwhites are a totally different story. Even Texas A&M will tell you they are in danger. I share your grief when it comes to the Bobwhites.

Along SR65 by Bakersfield, the jackrabbit is large dog sized, and it comes out at night.

Back in the Nextel days, we would be out at 3 Dark Thirty doing site repairs and see these things runic in packs, like a horror movie.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

nah, just get some molten metal and turn their ant home into art work. dig it out and sell it.
We dont have fire ants here, but we do have some huge ground nests of whatever ants we do have.

Always wanted to try this, but we have a lot of trees and therefore tree roots so Im skeptical of how good of a result I would have.

Back