Need Help to Measure a Thin Gap

There are most certainly .0001 resolution feeler gauge measuring stock strips out there, try Precision Brand or Maudlin. It's basically certified dimension shim stock, and isn't expensive as far as I know. eBay would be the first stop for me.

There are most certainly .0001 resolution feeler gauge measuring stock strips out there, try Precision Brand or Maudlin. It's basically certified dimension shim stock, and isn't expensive as far as I know. eBay would be the first stop for me.
I looked at both Precision and Maudlin web sites and don't find anything that I want. In other words, I think you have misunderstood what I'm trying to do.

What I would need is 51 feeler gages from .0010" to .0050" thickness (in .ooo1" increments) and of Class X precision tolerance. I couldn't find any such thing. If you can, I'd appreciate a link.

I'm not sure you need 51 shims, seems like 4 pieces with a .00x1, a piece of .00x5, and some .0010 would get you there, maybe. Or 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, something like that, Fibonacci primes or the like. It's not an easy thing to measure directly or indirectly from what you've described. I have some .001 stainless stock and it's basically strong tin foil, so it depends.

Not knowing what you're up to here, this might be off the wall... Been there before, so what the heck.

Is it plausible to put place shim strips of the desired dimension, and push until contact? Thus measuring the "stroke" instead of using the pressure to imply the stroke?

Do these planar surfaces have access to the outside? As in, could you measure an outside dimension before an after, and use the difference?

Not knowing what you're up to here, this might be off the wall... Been there before, so what the heck.

Is it plausible to put place shim strips of the desired dimension, and push until contact? Thus measuring the "stroke" instead of using the pressure to imply the stroke?

Do these planar surfaces have access to the outside? As in, could you measure an outside dimension before an after, and use the difference?
I'm trying to measure the stroke resulting from a a change in pressure from very low pressure to max pressure the mechanism delivers.

Overall (outside) measurement is not convenient. See replies #25 & 26 for a little more info.-

Back