Need help identifying what are these tools used for

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,

The previous owner gave me gratuitously these tool with the lathe. Please can anyone chip in and help me out on what process are they used for. I can understand some of them but not all, and maybe I am wrong on what I belive I know so you thoughts are very much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 121
Also this DRO which was not working with the scale mounted on the lathe.. How can I find some spare part for it. I mean the ruler that goes in the lathe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 29
Hi guys,

The previous owner gave me gratuitously these tool with the lathe. Please can anyone chip in and help me out on what process are they used for. I can understand some of them but not all, and maybe I am wrong on what I belive I know so you thoughts are very much appreciated.

Very nice! Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) holders and different cutters, boring bars... I also see a knurling tool in there, nice!

The first three are a variety of turning, boring, and threading tools for the AXA style quick change tool post.

Take some time to set them all out in a bench with the holders all pointing the same direction and by shape of the tool they are holding. Then you will see what are left, right, threading and boring. Blondihacks did a video a little while back about lathe form tools, the how and why. Good watch.

The dro...you might find info on it, may be better to just to write it off and start new. +/- $250 for a 2 axis and new scales.

The first three are a variety of turning, boring, and threading tools for the AXA style quick change tool post.

Take some time to set them all out in a bench with the holders all pointing the same direction and by shape of the tool they are holding. Then you will see what are left, right, threading and boring. Blondihacks did a video a little while back about lathe form tools, the how and why. Good watch.

The dro...you might find info on it, may be better to just to write it off and start new. +/- $250 for a 2 axis and new scales.
Which one is popular nowadays? Budget friendly. Also I will need one for the milling machine so if I can move the unit from one to the other for a while it would be great given that I can get extra scales.

Thats a good haul. Post more pictures of the tool holders made from round bar. The shiny ones, very unique shop made tooling!

He was a great guy, helped me with my numerous newbie questions etc etc. he did not have to do it, but he did. I will be forever thankful to him for showing kindness to me and for the lathe.

Attachments

• 72063966817__50FBFE50-B328-4008-BDD2-878D68B88E7E.MOV
    4.4 MB
Which one is popular nowadays? Budget friendly. Also I will need one for the milling machine so if I can move the unit from one to the other for a while it would be great given that I can get extra scales.
Amazon DRO I have this on both my Smithy 1324(don't judge) and my mill.

Get two DROs. You don't want to keep moving head units back and forth because you will have to calibrate the scales on each unit, and that is stored in the head unit.

if you can only afford one, Learn to use the dials on the lathe, DRO on the mill first.

-Tim, I'm sorry, I didn't realize your level of skill. Should have take some more time with you on the tooling.

The long scale is on the mill, behind the frame.

The round stock is ETD 150, 150,000# tensile strength, Made from scrap gas compressor piston rods. I still am a Tool and Die Maker. Still making tools.

Do NO remove the DRO from your mill, it will never be right again. The cross feed DRO the lathe may need a new battery. It worked fine...

Back