My old back vs my rotary table

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
It seems so obvious now. I've been storing my rotary table with it's huge stepper motor on the bottom shelf on plywood. It has to be pushing 100#.

Each time I need it I have to drag it off that shelf to lift it onto my mill.

Storing it on a furniture dolly under the shelves is too obvious. Now it rolls right out and up to the mill.

20240825_193907.jpg

Now I want to make a makeshift mini crane that clamps on the table to lift the rotary table.

I knew there would be the day where I wouldn't be able to lift some of my accessories easily. I'm not old yet but with a semi bad back & arthritis starting to kick in, that time is coming sooner than I thought. And I only have small hobby size stuff.

Here's my planned solution, I got this years ago before I actually needed it. I still don't use it much now but I probably should.

Those furniture dollies are great, I keep multiple on hand for all sorts of uses.

20240825_171402.jpg20220518_154122.jpg

I knew there would be the day where I wouldn't be able to lift some of my accessories easily. I'm not old yet but with a semi bad back & arthritis starting to kick in, that time is coming sooner than I thought. And I only have small hobby size stuff.

Here's my planned solution, I got this years ago before I actually needed it. I still don't use it much now but I probably should.

Those furniture dollies are great, I keep multiple on hand for all sorts of uses.

View attachment 500991View attachment 500992View attachment 500993
A short lift table is $250 now. I'm looking for one at the flea market cheap.

Having a hard time with a simple beach cooler these days . Can't imagine having to lift the super spacer onto the table these days . :eek:
I finally know why they are called super spacers now. Super heavy!

I used to just pick that thing up like nothing. Now I chuck up a bar in it to use as a handle & all kinds of noises come out on my joints & mouth when I move it. :D

I think I'm going to install a eyelet in the ceiling and use my block and tackle to lift the rotary table, and potentially heavy parts. I can connect several rafters together to spread the load. I wouldn't lift anything crazy heavy.

No shame in using aids. Curtis, young as he is, can't even change a chuck without a crane.

It seems so obvious now. I've been storing my rotary table with it's huge stepper motor on the bottom shelf on plywood. It has to be pushing 100#.

Each time I need it I have to drag it off that shelf to lift it onto my mill.

Storing it on a furniture dolly under the shelves is too obvious. Now it rolls right out and up to the mill.

View attachment 500986

Now I want to make a makeshift mini crane that clamps on the table to lift the rotary table.
I picked up an old set of cast iron legs last year. Made a mill accessories table out of them and put it on casters.
I park it near the mill.
When I want to transfer my vise or rotab to the mill I roll it over, raise or lower the Z axis as needed and slide it from one to the other. The rest of the time it's right handy for grabbing hold downs, etc.

Attachments

• 725202423245.jpg
    725202423245.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 45
  • 72620240420.jpg
    72620240420.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Back