Looking for windup springs

Thanks, but -
Based on their website, they do not stock the kind of springs I'm looking for. The do have constant force springs (linear action not rotary) which are common and easy to find. I checked them out when I started searching.

My Better-Half sorted through the tub and dug them out, and laid them out for the picts.

Note for those on limited bandwidth: These are hi-res pictures.
1118201832a_C.jpg
1118201832b.jpg
1118201832c.jpg
1118201833.jpg
I've been searching for a good source for the kind of springs you find in clocks and wind-up toys, There seems to be surprisingly few out there.

So far I've only found these on McMaster-Carr, they are expensive and not a lot of choices:

I also found really nice looking spring motor assemblies from a manufacturer but they are clearly going to be expensive and probably not sold individually.

I guess I could probably learn to wind my own but that's a whole other direction when all I really want to work on is making wind-up mechanicals.

I have bought about 20 cheap wind up toys from china from Amazon, and was planing on cannibalizing them. However the springs are small with not a lot of run time. I know I'm going to want better.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

@middle.road - Don't know if you have seen my last reply to chat conversation regarding the springs, let's do it!

Just need to exchange contact information. If you would rather use email, I can be reached at:

dave (at) newww.com

-Dave

I just posted some progress shots in another thread - first windup gear train:

-Dave

Hi dbb-the-bruce, not sure if you're still looking for clock springs. I'm in NH - I have several main springs that came in a box of random clock parts. I don't see me ever doing anything with them - you're welcome to them.

I'm in NH - I have several main springs that came in a box of random clock parts. I don't see me ever doing anything with them - you're welcome to them.

Thomb - Thanks! that would be cool.

Looks like you recently joined the group Welcome! What kind of stuff are interested in? I've been looking for model makers or clock makers in NH that would be let me pick their brains. I've got a couple of machinist friends that have gotten me this far, but they are not into "small stuff" if you know what I mean.

Regarding clock springs and parts, I'd be happy to pick up your box of springs and parts.
I'm in Concord, my wife and I often head to the coast to pick up seafood and visit a beach. Maybe we could swing by over the holidays.

Regardless, nice to meet you!
- Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
Good to meet you as well and absolutely welcome to swing by (I will be out of town new years eve/day) - I don't know if the forum messages notify my email or not - I'll check it thought.

I work from home so I'll be here. Happy to see the box go to good home :)

As for interests... really just gotten started. My wife and I spent most of our weekends the past decade or so working on our house and that finally wound down. Got to the point where we got the tools /did all the trades...I make my living in software so I'll take any chance I get to do something that will last for at least nanosecond past when the power goes out.

I make art pieces(?) started with welding then expanded into machining yard/household items - lamps, candle holders, skewers/martini picks, fire pokers, coasters... and to justify it... I repair stuff or make things for my or someone else's boat. Mostly one or handful of part things.

I respect the heck out of the folks that make complex multi-part things .. just not there yet. I flat out don't have the natural aptitude...feels like a struggle some days to fabricate my way out of a paper bag; but when you respect and enjoy something its not work to improve.

Beach wise... we're walking distance to south end of the wall; and have been known to consider the strip walking distance.

Back