Let's Talk About "Micro" Lathes

Check out Cowells, they make pretty sweet micro lathes!

Yes, I have. Sweet machines; but, availability in USA is an issue.

I was also hoping to hear about the accuracy of Unimat's as the used ones are (SL) are relatively abundant on the used market. However, some think they are made of gold based on their asking price. It's no wonder some of them stay on Craigslist forever.

I have no specific intention of biying a Taig anytime soon, though I've been nursing the urge for nearly 30 years, I do have a small batch of comparably sized lathes. 1/4 hp has to be overkill for something that size (their Marathon seems to be equivalent to a washing machine motor). I have for instance a smaller Boston Gear motor, for hp it says .05 TE. 1.35 amps. A chunky little monkey, weighs at least 10 lbs. Now I have yet to cast/machine or buy a pulley for it, but I want to say that has to be sufficient for a Taig/Edelstaal Machinex 5/Unimat 3/watch/clock latje. Or a Sherline. Maybe I'm wrong, but their motor seems cumbersome.

I'm also eyeing a 1/8 hp 3600 rpm motor. Again I would expect that to be sufficient (more so).
I have a complete motor and controller out of a treadmill that I scrapped. I have heard of a lot of guys using them for lathe and mill motors. Can’t remember what the hp was. I just couldn’t bare seeing it go to waist

Yes, I have. Sweet machines; but, availability in USA is an issue.

I was also hoping to hear about the accuracy of Unimat's as the used ones are (SL) are relatively abundant on the used market. However, some think they are made of gold based on their asking price. It's no wonder some of them stay on Craigslist forever.
I jhave been eyeballing a unimat that’s been on marketplace for months now. Asking price is reasonable so I wasn’t real sure why it’s taking so long to sell

The Cowells lathe was originally a set of castings sold by Perris. I had the kit, but, wait for it ...LOST IT. Left the box on top of my car or something and drove away. The original kit came with (likely) mediocre machines parts. I'm not saying Cowells lathes are of the same quality. But they're stupid expensive.
I happen to like cantilever style lathes. But larger. The Brits made a bunch. There was 1 in BC a number of years ago on Craigslist. Not a lot of money as I remember (and shipping wasn't murder back then). But I balked.

A question I'd like to pose to Taig users.

Their stock motor is rated 1/4 h.p. My original Atlas 618, a far more heaftier lathe also had a 1/4 h.p. motor. I never saw it as being deficient, within the lathes limits. So why does a Taig need a comparably rated motor?

Taig very much markets their machines to customizers, you can buy them piece by piece. I suspect the Marathon 1/4hp motor is offered as a convenience to customers who don't want to source their own motor. Like many parts of the Taig machines this motor was probably selected for being functional, and affordable.

Many Taig owners do source their own motor. Variable speed options are popular, treadmill motors, sewing machine motors, even the motor from the Sherline has been used.

Sherline only has a 60w (1/12hp) variable speed motor but has beefier v-belts than Taig which uses 1/8" o-rings. I don't know how much power the Taig belts can transfer, but doubtful it is anywhere close to 1/4hp.

I have the 1/4hp motor on my Taig. It works but it is large and probably outweighs the lathe. Since I specifically wanted the Taig to set up as a highly portable "travel" lathe I have been looking at smaller options. I would think a 1/10 - 1/15 hp variable speed universal motor as used on many watchmakers lathes would be a decent option.

Yeah the Taig is all about economy. I am not in no way putting it down. I would imagine they have a relationship with Marathon. Finding the ideal most convenient sized motor of sufficiemt power, w/o spending 200$+, is not easy to say the least. So, they offer that, and the price isn't terrible.

If or rather when I buy a Taig, I won't be using their pulleys and belts. That and the chucks I don't have a fondness for.

The price of the lathe can climb easily. That is if you go for the upgraded headstocks. The 5c option looks like a beast. And pricey.

Taig very much markets their machines to customizers, you can buy them piece by piece. I suspect the Marathon 1/4hp motor is offered as a convenience to customers who don't want to source their own motor. Like many parts of the Taig machines this motor was probably selected for being functional, and affordable.

Many Taig owners do source their own motor. Variable speed options are popular, treadmill motors, sewing machine motors, even the motor from the Sherline has been used.

Sherline only has a 60w (1/12hp) variable speed motor but has beefier v-belts than Taig which uses 1/8" o-rings. I don't know how much power the Taig belts can transfer, but doubtful it is anywhere close to 1/4hp.

I have the 1/4hp motor on my Taig. It works but it is large and probably outweighs the lathe. Since I specifically wanted the Taig to set up as a highly portable "travel" lathe I have been looking at smaller options. I would think a 1/10 - 1/15 hp variable speed universal motor as used on many watchmakers lathes would be a decent option.
My Taig lathes use a Gates Polyflex belt 3M500.

Yeah the Taig is all about economy. I am not in no way putting it down. I would imagine they have a relationship with Marathon. Finding the ideal most convenient sized motor of sufficiemt power, w/o spending 200$+, is not easy to say the least. So, they offer that, and the price isn't terrible.

If or rather when I buy a Taig, I won't be using their pulleys and belts. That and the chucks I don't have a fondness for.

The price of the lathe can climb easily. That is if you go for the upgraded headstocks. The 5c option looks like a beast. And pricey.

Exactly, Taig has done a very good job of balancing cost / function. They are a frugal option, not cheap.

The base machines are very affordable, the base lathe can be purchased new for $400-500, less without the motor, but they offer several much more expensive options.

My Taig lathes use a Gates Polyflex belt 3M500.

You are correct, it is the powerfeed that uses O-rings. I just ordered some new ones so that is what I had stuck in my head.

The basic kit is about 187$ iitc. And I think 10% off that from Nick Carter. That's the way I'd go. I'd machine even cast my own pulleys. Worry about a t/s and compound whenever. Oh yeah not in love with that t/s either. But it's functional I'm sure.

Back