Laptop computer assistance needed...

If all else fails, you can reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system and whatever software you want to use. Another possible would be to purchase a solid state drive and retain the old hard drive intact. You will still need to install an operating system and the software of your choice but you wouldn't have deleted the old files and you will have a faster and more efficient laptop.

So you have not heard of drive cloning then?

So you have not heard of drive cloning then?
I have actually used disk imaging to install solid state drives to replace my OEM hard drives on my laptop and desktop computers. I believe that cloning the drive would also carry the password protection to the new drive though.

I have actually used disk imaging to install solid state drives to replace my OEM hard drives on my laptop and desktop computers. I believe that cloning the drive would also carry the password protection to the new drive though.
only if the original HDD had a password, which is NOT a windows password (two entirely separate things)

As to SSD, I will stick to SSHD's thanks. Can't and won't deal with the finite life of an SSD.

Can't and won't deal with the finite life of an SSD.
What we’re seeing in large scale storage solutions is that SSDs have become more reliable than HDDs. Andy Klein of Backblaze has gathered an impressive amount of data to back up this observation.

TL;DR HDD life is more finite than you might have thought.

What we’re seeing in large scale storage solutions is that SSDs have become more reliable than HDDs. Andy Klein of Backblaze has gathered an impressive amount of data to back up this observation.

TL;DR HDD life is more finite than you might have thought.

If you read what I wrote, I never mentioned HDDs, I mentioned SSHDs different thing being that it is a hybrid drive. Speed of SSD, storage of HDD.

Ditto all that has been said. In short, we need to know where the password is, BEFORE we can help you get around it.

Whenever I setup a machine for someone else I always create an admin account with my default password. That way when they contact me because they forgot their password, or changed it to something they don't remember I can quickly get in and reset it for them.

Yes, there are Linux utilities that can crack or reset Windows passwords depending on version, and also ways to get around bios passwords sometimes.

However, depending on what the machine is used for and how old it is sometimes the best solution IS buying a new machine.

John

The laptop is probably 8 or 9 years old, so it's obsolete, I'm sure...

It belonged to my mother... she lost her battle with cancer on September 9th...

Dad wanted me to have it... I don't know why... but after 59 years of being with Mom, he is now alone and somewhat lost, so we are trying to make everything as easy for him as possible.

My brother was Mom's computer expert... I thought he might know the password, and he did...

Thanks, everyone...
-Bear

If all else fails, you can reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system and whatever software you want to use. Another possible would be to purchase a solid state drive and retain the old hard drive intact. You will still need to install an operating system and the software of your choice but you wouldn't have deleted the old files and you will have a faster and more efficient laptop.
That would be my choice. I use nothing but Solid state drives now. Lightning fast and less affected by heat.

Back