Laptop computer assistance needed...

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
... by a complete 'computer dummy'...

I have an HP Pavilion laptop that is password protected... and nobody knows the password.

Is there any way to bypass this password?

Yes, I know... it's a dumb question... but I'd hate to toss a useable laptop in the landfill over a password...

Thanks- Bear

There are ways, but they depend on whether the password is on the O/S or on the BIOS.

If it is the former (O/S side), there are ways, but they are technical. If it is the latter, that is where it gets highly complex.

O/S = Operating system (windows for most laptops)

If the password is on the drive (most common) you can recover the files by removing the drive and connecting it as an alternate drive. There are USB chassis that a drive can slip into. You wont' be able to boot from it, but you can get the files off of it. Then format the drive, reinstall the operating system and start anew. If the drive is encrypted (less common) you're probably out of luck.

GsT

If it is the latter, that is where it gets highly complex.
On older computers is achieved by short circuiting the SCL and SDA pins on the EEPROM chip while the BIOS checks the password.

I’ve done this on multiple machines and it is fairly easy to do so, unless the EEPROM chip on your computer is on the keyboard side :encourage:

If the password is on the drive (most common) you can recover the files by removing the drive and connecting it as an alternate drive. There are USB chassis that a drive can slip into. You wont' be able to boot from it, but you can get the files off of it. Then format the drive, reinstall the operating system and start anew. If the drive is encrypted (less common) you're probably out of luck.

GsT

That is one way, but there are better ways if it is the O/S that has the password.

It is called using the command line and it is a relatively quick and easy command to execute.

...Here I was, worrying that I would get a bunch of responses that I couldn't understand!

:laughing:

I appreciate the replies... but I honestly have no idea what any of that means...

I understand 'operating system', but beyond that, I'm hopeless...

I've sent my brother a text... maybe he knows what the password is... we'll see...

Thanks again!

-Bear

I think on some HPs you can backup/reinstall the OS without the password- but of course you lose all your files

If all else fails, you can reformat the drive and reinstall the operating system and whatever software you want to use. Another possible would be to purchase a solid state drive and retain the old hard drive intact. You will still need to install an operating system and the software of your choice but you wouldn't have deleted the old files and you will have a faster and more efficient laptop.

Back