Kurt DX4 or Tegara 550V vise for new PM-833TV?

Are their projects doable with just a mill and a lathe? I've avoided projects like that because I didn't have a mill, but that problem is soon solved. :)

Rick "doesn't have a surface grinder and not ready for heat-treating" Denney
Very doable. They sell kits with castings and raw materials but shipping from the UK is expensive. If you convert them materials to something you can get here it will be easy enough to build with a mill and a lathe running HSS tooling even for most of it.

Whatever you buy, it will have jaw lift, if you measure closely enough. Whether that is a problem, or not, depends on what you are doing.

My DX4 has measurable jaw lift, as did my Precision Vise from PM. The DX4 lift is on the order of 0.0010-0.0015". The PM vise was about 0.003". I tried fixing the PM vise, but never could get much better, so I bought a toolmaker's vise. My 3" toolmaker's vise jaw lift is less, around half a thousandth. The DX4 is easier to use for everyday use than the toolmakers vise. I waited for a sale on the Kurt, and eventually bought one.

Bigger stuff simply gets bolted to the table. Small, precise stuff goes in the toolmaker's vise.

Whatever you buy, it will have jaw lift, if you measure closely enough. Whether that is a problem, or not, depends on what you are doing.

My DX4 has measurable jaw lift, as did my Precision Vise from PM. The DX4 lift is on the order of 0.0010-0.0015". The PM vise was about 0.003". I tried fixing the PM vise, but never could get much better, so I bought a toolmaker's vise. My 3" toolmaker's vise jaw lift is less, around half a thousandth. The DX4 is easier to use for everyday use than the toolmakers vise. I waited for a sale on the Kurt, and eventually bought one.

Bigger stuff simply gets bolted to the table. Small, precise stuff goes in the toolmaker's vise.
I have always tapped in once snug on top of my parallels, no issues.

I have always tapped in once snug on top of my parallels, no issues.
I do as well. Although, I haven't remeasured afterwards. When I get to play in the shop, I'll measure that.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some post machining movement, due to lift. Seem to remember that on the original vise.
I suspect I received a bum vise, but I was too new/ignorant to identify that. Water over the dam.

I do as well. Although, I haven't remeasured afterwards. When I get to play in the shop, I'll measure that.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was some post machining movement, due to lift. Seem to remember that on the original vise.
I suspect I received a bum vise, but I was too new/ignorant to identify that. Water over the dam.
I never thought to measure the vise because after I tap in I I usually measure where the work piece is if it is critical, I probably should check that. PM has like 3 separate price points in their vises and while I did not take the most expensive I did opt for the middle ground.

Back