Koolmist tap (well water) vs distilled water

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I pre mix my Kool mist (a gallon at a time of mixed) and the other day the filter clogged for the second time on my mister in 2 days. So I emptied the container and it had all these floaties in it. Like stringy spermizoids. So I poured new in from the jug, and it too had all these stringy things.

I'm thinking my water is too impure for this to sit around..

Any of you started out this way and switch to distilled? I am thinking that would be better than the growth I am experiencing.

I think you are right. Well water can definitely harbor some microbes. Now, if you had some reverse osmosis filter system with UV treatment, you may be in a better spot.

I mix the same way, one gallon at a time. I used tap water the first time and found similar 'stuff' in it but I don't remember how long it took to show up. I switched to distilled. I buy a gallon of distilled water in a jug at the store and I have not had an issue yet.

Well water can have all sorts of “things” in it; I have high efficiency filters on the ice maker and a tap at the kitchen sink used for drinking & cooking (200’ +/- deep well).

Water collected by a dehumidifier is essentially distilled water.If you are concerned about bacteria in the water, heat it to the boiling point, It takes about 1/3 kwh to heat a gallon of water to the boiling point. Far cheaper than buying distilled water.

Manufactures of water based (soluble) coolants say only to use distilled/de-ionized water as it decreases deposits as well as extending tank life. It use to be that the you could pick up distilled water pretty inexpensively, but I purchased some this year and it was ~$15/gallon. My wife's foreign car requires using de-ionized water with a special wiper fluid, I learned that after and expensive repair when everything was clogged up. I would have replaced it myself but you need to take off the front fender, and a whole bunch of parts just to get the freaking reservoir. My 2005 Toyota truck is a piece of cake to work on, but I gave up on her car.

Distilled is only about $1.83 / gal. I use it for my CPAP. So not expensive. I have not been using my Koolmist much so it sat for a while. Now machining again, so I noticed the problem was the crud.

In 2020 when everything was in short supply, distilled water at Walmart was around $2/gallon; earlier this year (we use it in our bedroom humidifiers in the Winter) it was $1.25, and today it is also $1.25 (yes, they some brands that are twice that, and SmartWater is about 5X that @ $6.50/gallon ON SALE!)

In 2020 when everything was in short supply, distilled water at Walmart was around $2/gallon; earlier this year (we use it in our bedroom humidifiers in the Winter) it was $1.25, and today it is also $1.25 (yes, they some brands that are twice that, and SmartWater is about 5X that @ $6.50/gallon ON SALE!)
Walmart, must be location, location, location...
Quite a number of times they have been out of it.. Or they have all the crushed bottles... I mean crushed. Seems like a gorilla from the old Samsonite commercial makes a stop in to handle the water.

Walmart, must be location, location, location...
Quite a number of times they have been out of it.. Or they have all the crushed bottles... I mean crushed. Seems like a gorilla from the old Samsonite commercial makes a stop in to handle the water.
I don't think I've been inside a Walmart for four years: they still have free "curbside" pickup (Sam's wants $4 unless you're a Plus Member), and like Target, if they say they have something available for pickup and they don't, they'll ship it free with next day delivery.

Back