Is there anything that I need to know about Precision Matthews PM-1022V Lathe before buying?

cneuor

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am considering the Precision Matthews PM-1022V lathe, and I am wondering if there is anything I need to know before buying it, such as discounts or coupons that could help lower the cost a little. When I bought a LittleMachineShop lathe, I wasn’t charged tax, a 'liftgate delivery service' fee, or a 'delivery appointment call' fee like Precision Matthews does. Does anyone know more about this?

Be aware that it still requires change gears for threading. It has a gear box to control feed rate on the powerfeed and this will allow a small range of threads to be cut on a set of gears, but not the full range.

This is not unusual on smaller lathes but many people see that it has a gear box and assume they won't have to deal with change gears.

Same is true on PMs 11" lathes. You don't get a full QCGB until you get to the 1228 and larger.

The 1022 is one of the best 10" lathes available new, just pointing this out as some have been disappointed to find change gears were neccessary.

I am considering the Precision Matthews PM-1022V lathe, and I am wondering if there is anything I need to know before buying it, such as discounts or coupons that could help lower the cost a little. When I bought a LittleMachineShop lathe, I wasn’t charged tax, a 'liftgate delivery service' fee, or a 'delivery appointment call' fee like Precision Matthews does. Does anyone know more about this?

It sounds like you made your LMS purchase a while ago: LMS (as do most suppliers) collect sales tax because they are required to do so, and unless you pick up a machine from them directly or at Cabin fever (or don’t need liftgate and/or other services) you will need to pay for these (click the “Shipping” link on this page):

I have one and have been very pleased with it. PM people are very good to deal with. Blondiehacks has one and explains it very well. She is an amazing machinist and her 10x 22 seems to serve her well. Look up her video's.

I have one and have been very pleased with it. PM people are very good to deal with. Blondiehacks has one and explains it very well. She is an amazing machinist and her 10x 22 seems to serve her well. Look up her video's.
Tom1948,
You make several good solid points. Look up Quin Dunkin at Blondihacks, she also has several in depth reviews of this machine. I cannot speak first hand on the PM1022 but if you have the room I would suggest the PM1030, same machine with a longer bed. I have a PM1236 and it is a good machine, that said I can tell you from personal experience PM has a 3 year warranty and they are very serious about taking care of thier customers, they are a first rate company.

When I bought my 1236 in 2019, I made arrangements to pick it up at the FedEx depot. A short forklift ride to my utility trailer and off I went. Somehow, FedEx managed to separate the two crates with the cabinets from the crate with the lathe, but that got straightened out in a couple of days and I went back for the cabinets. An easy grab off the trailer with an engine hoist. Solved the issue of getting pallets off of a truck and into the shop.

lathe.jpgcabinets.jpg

You will also appreciate the power cross slide. Not many machines this size has that. Also, everyone that works for Matt are former machinists. They designed there machines to there specs. I don't think you will be sorry in spite of shipping and liftgate etc.

Quinn’s recommendations and the power cross feed are why the 1022 is on my wishlist (OK, 1036 if my wife lets me have a larger shop in the house we buy after winning the lottery: the 1022 will fit where my 7x16 lives).

Quinn’s recommendations and the power cross feed are why the 1022 is on my wishlist (OK, 1036 if my wife lets me have a larger shop in the house we buy after winning the lottery: the 1022 will fit where my 7x16 lives).

How does that old saying go? "buy the biggest version of the machine that you want, if you can afford it". That said, is there an option to acquire a 30" bedway upgrade kit??

When I got the 7x I am rebuilding, it started out as a 7x14.... I soon swapped the bed for a longer one (required leadscrew, rack and swarf tray to go with it), since I knew I wanted and would need that extra room. The new 16" bed actually nets me a full 17-1/2" between (short) dead-centres!

The biggest thing to be aware of IMHO is that the chuck mount is a DIN 55027 which is not very common. You'll have difficulty finding other types of chucks to fit it. There's a thread on this forum describing how to modify one of our back plates to suit an ER40 Collet chuck for example.
The D1-4 mount on the 1130V lathe is much more common. As long as you're ok with that stipulation, it's a fine lathe.

Back