Is there any such thing as too large of a mill?

Sure there is. It’s all about what your purpose is.

I personally wouldn’t want anything that large. Heavy handwheels, larger tooling, bigger vises….just makes it seem too much like work to me.

I make small things, with small machines. I have zero interest in rigging as a hobby. But you do you.

This is a moderately judgement free zone, so long as we stay on the topic of machining. Lol
thanks, good points, it should be noted i'm planning on keeping my small mill for small stuff as well as my CNC router.
I'm completely agree with you about it becoming work with a larger mill but then again it is work to try to do big work on a small mill also.

We have a couple series 1 BPs, a series 2, and two huge mills, a Supermax and a Sharp.

The big mills are a pain in the ass for every day use. I’m 6’ and have to stand on the chip tray of the Sharp to reach the drawbar.

Even the reach to the hand wheels on the series 2BP is cumbersome at times.

If you Need a big machine you need one, but I wouldn’t buy one as a primary machine for “Someday” use.
good points thanks.

We have a couple series 1 BPs, a series 2, and two huge mills, a Supermax and a Sharp.

The big mills are a pain in the ass for every day use. I’m 6’ and have to stand on the chip tray of the Sharp to reach the drawbar.

Even the reach to the hand wheels on the series 2BP is cumbersome at times.

If you Need a big machine you need one, but I wouldn’t buy one as a primary machine for “Someday” use.

I imagine a bit like daily driving a 1 ton crew cab dually. Awesome for hauling people, lumber, towing a boat, but kind of sucks running errands around town.

I enjoy my little machines for small work, and having larger (still small in the big picture) machines for my larger work.

the ceiling height is the biggest issue for me as i see it now, with the way my conditioned space is set up i can get another 4" without too much work, but it would be work (which i'm allergic to)

I'm certainly not saying don't get the bigger mill, that is between you and your space. It is easy to say "nobody ever said their machine was too big", but the reality is we do have members here who have expressed some regret for not going a little smaller than they did. For most of us space is finite, and the additional 3 square feet used by a machine which never gets used to capacity, might have been better used for something else.

I'm just trying to point out potential downsides which are very user specific, a deal breaker for some and a nothing burger for another.

Also I assume you are looking at used, which adds an additional element. The 12x54 that is a great deal vs a 9x42 that is just an ok deal also plays a part if you have the space.

I imagine a bit like daily driving a 1 ton crew cab dually. Awesome for hauling people, lumber, towing a boat, but kind of sucks running errands around town.

I enjoy my little machines for small work, and having larger (still small in the big picture) machines for my larger work.

I'm certainly not saying don't get the bigger mill, that is between you and your space. It is easy to say "nobody ever said their machine was too big", but the reality is we do have members here who have expressed some regret for not going a little smaller than they did. For most of us space is finite, and the additional 3 square feet used by a machine which never gets used to capacity, might have been better used for something else.

I'm just trying to point out potential downsides which are very user specific, a deal breaker for some and a nothing burger for another.

Also I assume you are looking at used, which adds an additional element. The 12x54 that is a great deal vs a 9x42 that is just an ok deal also plays a part if you have the space.
first off thanks for the input, I am looking at used and one issue that is common is that the larger machines are the same price or less than the smaller equipment, I have a small mill and lathe now and have no plans to get rid of them, i have the space for more than one machine as well as no issues with creating more space for more machines if i want. what i'm looking for is reasons why a bigger machine in combination with my smaller equipment would be a bad idea.

first off thanks for the input, I am looking at used and one issue that is common is that the larger machines are the same price or less than the smaller equipment, I have a small mill and lathe now and have no plans to get rid of them, i have the space for more than one machine as well as no issues with creating more space for more machines if i want. what i'm looking for is reasons why a bigger machine in combination with my smaller equipment would be a bad idea.

Looking at your other machines it looks like you are kind of headed the way I have gone, only on a different scale. I have a small Sherline 5400 mill 3.5x12" and a Clausing 8520 mill 6x24". Both get used, as small parts often use small tooling so the much higher speeds available on the Sherline do offer some advantage. It is also much quieter to run. The Clausing while a small mill in the big picture is just a completely different class of mill from a mini-mill, bigger, heavier and a knee mill. I like having the bigger mill very much, and I have no urge to get rid of the little Sherline, they both have a place for me.

I have no concept of the practical differences between working with a mill the size of a typical Bridgeport and a larger mill.

Exactly, not many people are up for moving a 2 ton mill so you might be able to get a great deal. On the other hand Bridgeports and clones are so common that they are already often fairly inexpensive. Parts availability may be a consideration long term.

nice, i will look into those, how useful is the horizontal milling capabilities?
If you have all the pieces, it’s fully functional horizontal. Arbors and the end support are kinda hard to come by. It is easy to convert the horizontal drawbar end to use NMTB 40 taper. I’ve done this to mine. These arbors are easy to get. Slick to use for horizontal drilling as it has a quill with 100mm travel. Nice to also stick a face mill in there for squaring big stuff. I have the dividing head attachment which is very nice and is useable on any larger mill. So horizontal arbor with a support is on the list for gear cutting. I’ll be making the end support bearing sometime soon. If I were to have only 1 mill. This would be it. Parts are a little tricky but readily available from Germany. Just takes some doing. If you buy one be sure it is in great shape as the cost of rebuilding is higher than a nice machine to start with. That is usually true though. If you have questions about the deckels I’m happy to discuss, send pictures etc. just PM me. I also have lots of literature I’ve scavenged off the internet and other owners.

Back