Is there any such thing as too large of a mill?

I would figure 3500 lbs for that size mill, I have a 9x42 and it is around 2500 lbs, and with its mobile base and vise around 2700 lbs..

A few things to consider other than just physically bigger.
1. Increased weight, probably looking at an additional 1000 Lbs, good for rigidity, but will make it harder to move/ship.
2. Larger motor, most likely will be a 5 Hp vs. 3 Hp 3 phase, so need the associated 3 phase power to match the increased amperage requirements.
3. Spindle taper may be different than R8, this may be a problem if your current tooling is R8. Top RPM speed may be slightly lower.
4. Everything is bigger, so may need larger end mills and cutters. May need longer arms...
5. Great for larger work, but if you mostly work with smaller projects/sizes, a larger mill can be a bit more cumbersome just because everything is heavier. Would want want power drives at least on the X and Z, and a power drawbar given the height.
1. agreed but i'm setup for moving up to 3K lbs.
2. i have single phase but looking to deal with the 3 phase thru a single to 3 phase VFD setup, (gets much more expensive above 3hp but doable up to 5hp as i understand it).
3. trying to stick with R8 to share tooling with my small mill, but a 40 or 30 taper would not be the end of the world.
4. and larger/stronger/better tools being required makes it less appealing, but I can probably work my way into better tools slowly.
5. agreed plan is to keep my small mill for those cases.

I would figure 3500 lbs for that size mill, I have a 9x42 and it is around 2500 lbs, and with its mobile base and vise around 2700 lbs..
yes up to 3k lbs is easy mode for me, 4k is doable with planning.

my method of loading unloading a trailer is a FEL on my tractor that is rated for 3100lbs to full height and 5k down low so i can get most everything on/off a trailer on my end, would need a rental for used equipment that i want to pick up but that is doable. I have 10'X10" roll up doors into my shop space so i can transfer to a pallet jack to move around into place. my conditioned space is built with a 6' wide by 7'6" swing out wall section so i'm covered on that end.

yes up to 3k lbs is easy mode for me, 4k is doable with planning.

That is good because the first 12x54" mill Google turned up for me, a Grizzly 12x54" weighs 4290lbs, vs 2100lbs for 9x42.

It is also 7'9" tall, which leaves you with only about 6" clearance for your 8'3" ceilings. The 9x42" is 6" shorter at 7'3".

Sure there is. It’s all about what your purpose is.

I personally wouldn’t want anything that large. Heavy handwheels, larger tooling, bigger vises….just makes it seem too much like work to me.

I make small things, with small machines. I have zero interest in rigging as a hobby. But you do you.

This is a moderately judgement free zone, so long as we stay on the topic of machining. Lol

Back