How to Grind taper tap into a plug/bottom tap

I found just grinding the taper tap flat to the 1st good thread results in a hard to turn "bottom" tap. The relief grind makes it easier to turn
I also grind a relief. (middle of second paragraph in my previous post)

I have done this...they have been a bit hard to start, so I start with a taper tap first. After doing this for awhile, I agree with Illinoyance and bought tap sets with three taps of each size, bottoming, taper, and whatever the third is called.
BTW, a bottoming tap is not meant to start a thread, it's only meant to get you to the bottom of a threaded hole.

I have done this...they have been a bit hard to start, so I start with a taper tap first. After doing this for awhile, I agree with Illinoyance and bought tap sets with three taps of each size, bottoming, taper, and whatever the third is called.
It is called a plug tap. I have a relief fixture for sharpening or modifying taps.

The attachment is based on the main parts of the Weldon end mill sharpening attachment, with a spring loaded rocking quill that is rocked by a series of cams for different numbers of flutes and various rises for different sizes of taps, it is on a swivel base for different degrees of chamfer, and is hand cranked. The cams can be used for right or left hand taps by simply reversing them on the spindle.

The attachment is based on the main parts of the Weldon end mill sharpening attachment, with a spring loaded rocking quill that is rocked by a series of cams for different numbers of flutes and various rises for different sizes of taps, it is on a swivel base for different degrees of chamfer, and is hand cranked. The cams can be used for right or left hand taps by simply reversing them on the spindle.
I guess I'm out.

I acquired a Polychoke tap sharpening jig. I haven't tried it yet.

What is the purpose of that sharp point on the end of a die. It just reduces how far I can tap in a blind hole

What is the purpose of that sharp point on the end of a die. It just reduces how far I can tap in a blind hole
A die doesn't have a point, A taper tap does.
The point is questionable except on really small dies, the purpose of the taper is to align , and start small cuts. Both taper, gun taps, and plug taps have a taper. It's just a difference in the amount of taper and the amount of threads that are useful.

I can't answer how far you can tap in a blind hole, it varies. I would say you want to stop as soon as you feel the bottom if hand tapping, if power taping, you should know your depth and back out before it. You don't want to break the tap. put a sharpie mark on the tap marking the holes depth and a little less if power tapping. or set your quill stop.

A die doesn't have a point, A taper tap does.
The point is questionable except on really small dies, the purpose of the taper is to align , and start small cuts. Both taper, gun taps, and plug taps have a taper. It's just a difference in the amount of taper and the amount of threads that are useful.

I can't answer how far you can tap in a blind hole, it varies. I would say you want to stop as soon as you feel the bottom if hand tapping, if power taping, you should know your depth and back out before it. You don't want to break the tap. put a sharpie mark on the tap marking the holes depth and a little less if power tapping. or set your quill stop.
I use a collet chuck in my tailstock to tap and when it slips I know it's gone as far as it will go.

Back