How do you organize your drill bits?

I 3D printed a whole bunch of boxes.
Quite a bit of work initially but should last quite a long time and is easy to add to.
I always forget what drills I've taken out to other places so I have a "random" box where I return drills to, then it's pretty quick with a digitial caliper to sort them back in.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 33
Yeah, the small drills I keep in another drawer and can organize and find okay. It is the larger ones that are a problem.
I can do better than what is in the photo of course. Most of these just came out of the Evapo Rust and got a light coat of oil. Now to get them organized better.

Attachments

• 20210708_064851.jpg
    20210708_064851.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 29
I do something similar to lis2323. For years I had both drills and taps in a large roll around printers cabinet. I modified many of the partitions to accommodate longer drills and taps. A few years ago the cabinet got so full it was hard to open and close the drawers. To minimize the problem I bought 3 Huot original dispenser cabinets for taps. This freed up room in the original printers cabinet for the drills. Still it's not the perfect solution. I have literally a couple hundred non standard, or now obsolete taps used for older equipment repair. They're dedicated to one of the cabinets, but still hard to identify without close inspection. The cabinets don't have enough partitions to have an individual one for each size.

Now that I've gathered up all the drills that weren't either in dispensers of free standing indexes from the surrounding shelves the cabinet is more than full once again. I'm thinking of a couple Huot Master drill dispensers. The problem is again that I have tons of non standard specialty drills that are either too long or to large in diameter to fit in the dispensers. In most cases there are enough partitions, but the partitions for the larger drills can only hold 1 or 2 of a given size.

If you're interested in Huot cabinets check them out on eBay. Mine came from All Industrial Supply. I paid about $80.00 a copy. They list for about $120.00 on the Huot website

Right now I'm at a crossroads as to what the next step might be. I like the Huot dispensers, but am leaning towards something more like a Vidmar or Lista cabinet for everything. Like most people floor space is at a premium. I'd have to do some considerable rearranging to get enough floor space for a Vidmar or similar cabinet. Another possibility is a nut and bolt storage cabinet similar to this one. It's far less expensive than a Vidmar, but still takes up considerable floor space.

Last edited:
I save the plastic inserts from ammunition boxes at the range and use them for miscellaneous and bits and cutter storage. Blocks of wood with holes work ok too but not the most exciting or flexible.
I broke down last year and bout a hout dispenser. It worked out great for space saving being the same size as the toolbox on the bench.
7c2e48d50c8086cc62eebb414d726e17.jpg

65de5d01c60ae7cb105dda1490ae662c.jpg

bd5b2c430862f0e672fa8ecb5aa4a8d4.jpg

a45b8db52d486e48c976d9ffdc16d5e4.jpg

The old way …….
ea5b7cc81c1f574e296fa5fd29e872cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A vast majority of my bits are in a 115 drill bit arranger-container.
For the rest of my bits: I drilled out a 2×4 and put drill bits and end mills in there for storage.

Huot cabinets for everything but the big stuff. That is in a HF tool box drawer.
shop12.jpg
tapered drills..jpg

That's what I'm talking about.
Huot cabinets for everything but the big stuff. That is in a HF tool box drawer.
View attachment 371543
View attachment 371544
That's what I'm talking about.
I've always liked Morse taper drills.
I know, I know, you use the small ones 10 times more. But having a nice set of big drills like that is just great. I see a couple of sizes there but can't tell for sure. I'm guessing they're MT 3 and MT4? and maybe 3/4 to 1 1/4 in diam?
I'm limited to MT3 here.
You might have bought the silver ones somewhere as a bunch and filled in the sizes as needed with the blue ones.
Thanks for the photo.

Back