How do you label HSS lathe tools?

I have 6-7 AXA general tool holders and 8-9 distinct tools, between the insert holders and the HSS tools, not including the obvious parting holder and extended holder. But I haven't found a way to label tool holders or tools that seems to work. I have squares of masking tape on tool holders, but it gets oily and doesn't last. I have sharpie names on tools that aren't obviously one thing or another, but that rubs off. So I'm curious, what do you do that actually lasts?

Thanks,
Tim
======================================================================

In all the machine shops I worked in since 1961, we had one of these to mark tooling that was retained for repeat jobs. ---- John

I've never labeled them- perhaps if you have more than I you could make a special wall mount for them with a labeled place for each one?
You're right, just about any stick on label will fall off when exposed to oil and cutting fluid
-Mark

I used a technique similar to the video in post #15 for etching metal. I used a Q Tip dipped in the salt solution with a test lead connected to the wet cotton bud. One note about the process; chlorine gas is generated in the process so us in adequate ventilation, A sodium carbonate (washing soda) solution could be used for the electrolyte instead.

I identify my tool bits by their shape but if there is a need to identify materials, the end or side of the tool bit could be color coded with a dot of nail polish.

Another way would be to permanently mark your tool holders and make a chart with the tool assignment for each. An Excel spreadsheet works well for this purpose as it can easily be modified and can contain as much detail as desired. A low tech way would be to use a white board or blackboard or a simple note pad written in a pencil with an eraser.

You might consider Dykem paint markers. I use this stuff to color code raw materials that come into the shop. They come in a wide variety of colors and a dot on the end of a tool will stay where you put it and won't come off unless you take it off with some Dykem layout dye remover. Just come up with a dot chart that tells you what a particular color or combination of colors means and you're good to go.

Can buy them on Amazon.

Dykem layout fluid, and a tungsten scribe, brilliant, if it's permanent. Will it be?

I'm referring to their oil-based paint, not their layout fluid.

Yes, I understood that, but my mind clicks in it's own directions. I have not tried it, but I'm thinking the layout fluid is pretty indelible, would it hold up? I do have it, and sourcing the paint pens is an other issue.

Yes, I understood that, but my mind clicks in it's own directions. I have not tried it, but I'm thinking the layout fluid is pretty indelible, would it hold up? I do have it, and sourcing the paint pens is an other issue.
I use the paint markers, white black and red. Mostly I use on shaft of drill bits. For example the size, R/O on that particluar drill. They cost a couple dollars each and dry quickly but are a lot more durable than the best sharpie. It's a quick process.

Pacifica,
I've never heard of a paint marker! Which brand do you use?
this might be a solution...
Tim

Back