How do you label HSS lathe tools?

Stick welder and a really small electrode...

Ok, fine, sharpie.. Lol.

More trouble than it’s worth in my opinion. I’d find a nice page from the South Bend book.... How to run a lathe. There’s a page showing the different cuts of hss tooling. Copy that and post it on your wall. Within a year of playing with this hobby.... you won’t even need to look at the wall chart.

Most good lathe books have a section on hss tooling. But the SB book is one of the best. Atlas has a copy which you can find on EBay. It’s the best in my opinion. But the SB is even available for free access online.

I personally think you are overthinking this stuff. Most of the time... one or two tool do most of my cutting. Every now and then... I’ll have to play with something like cutting stainless. And on my bigger lathe I use mostly carbide. But on my South Bend.... I really have two tools which do 90% of my cutting. They have been ground real nice and then touched up with my diamond stone. I occasionally touch them up.

just did a little Google....and found this.

Attachments

• 0C5B79F5-C3D8-40E4-992E-37C8A07C2882.png
    0C5B79F5-C3D8-40E4-992E-37C8A07C2882.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I’d mark the tool holders with a vibratory engraver or dremel. For HSS I’d probably use the dremel and a stone bit. If you don’t want to Mark up your holders or bits you could engrave a small piece of sheet metal or shim stock and super glue it to the holder or possibly the bit and if you ever wanted to take it off then just pop them off or soak with acetone. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool video.
I have similar profiles in tungsten, and cobalt bits, and cant tell them apart now. They got lumped together when I sold all of the AXA holders with the 1228.

Last edited:
I have shanks (for carbide) or HSS bits that are assigned to their own tool holder. I get the tool centered, and they live the rest of their life in there. It is nice to pull out what you need & have it already on center.

My shanks and HSS tool bits that were not given a tool holder are kept in a drawer, and I have one tool holder that is a “free agent” (or should I say bachelor?); it is a #2 tool holder. When I want to use these unassigned shanks or tool bits, they go in the free agent & I have to take the time to center the tool.

I was doing that, but sold all of the holders.

I was doing that, but sold all of the holders.

Yes, I saw the picture of the mountain of tool holders. It sounds like you didn’t have to spend too much time centering tools.

Tim9 -- thanks, but I'm using the Mikey method, taught on this board, so my RH HSS (and now cobalt) tools all have the same general shape.
Atung -- that was a great video, and I may give it a shot!
However, it's looking more like I'm back to labeling. Appreciate the variety of responses here!

Tim

Back