Heavy chuck

yota

Registered
Registered
mounted the 12" 4 jaw on my new lathe today. jeez, I'm too old and skinny for this LOL. I have googled all the threads about ways to mechanize this process and I'm not going to spend the money for that skyhook thing. I have a 12-foot ceiling height and I keep my chucks on a table at the head of my lathe. was chewing on ordering a 10 foot long, 12 ga section of Unistrut, running it on the ceiling starting at the table on the centerline of the lathe, bolted to trusses every 2 feet.

they sell this 4-wheel Unistrut trolley I could put a shackle on and hang the antique chain fall I was gifted and rebuilt a couple of years ago that is taking up space on my floor. all of these parts are rated to 5 or 6 times the weight of anything I would need to move. I could even move the giant ass tailstock that's even heavier than my chucks. about got a hernia putting it back after adjusting the locks LOL.

whaddya think?

PXL_20240527_155950059.MP.jpgd8d20c22-058b-4de7-8ace-14bf3bad576e.png455056ad-f280-4c2e-99c6-e29fd1cd6e16.pngPXL_20210809_143201403.jpgedcf7100-717d-4f5a-92f2-224e83ace022.pngPXL_20240607_192054190.MP.jpg

I used a barn door track and trolley that is quite similar to what your pictures show, but I used a Harbor Fright electric hoist instead of a chain fall, I don't shop HF, a friend passed and I was given 2 that He had, the other one is over my milling machine, with a track same as the lathe; I like the electric hoist better, as I set the large chucks and faceplate on the floor at the headstock end of the lathe, that is a large distance to lift up and over the headstock. That is a very capable looking lathe!

yes, the lathe is WAY over my capabilities. hope I can catch up with it a bit. sold my SB9A and was looking for a bit bigger machine. as I've mentioned before on other threads, this was in a Florida State University research lab machine shop since 1966 or 67. I have all the paperwork. I guess they decided to move to more modern machines. U of F also had some of these same machines. I got this for 200.00 more than I sold my 9A for, delivered to my house. and it came with almost everything. of course I had to buy a 10hp rotary phase converter.

I have googled all the threads about ways to mechanize this process and I'm not going to spend the money for that skyhook thing.

I've NEVER used one, or even seen it in person, but a little bit of quick geometry says that I don't like the way those treat the lathe. It obviously works, but I don't like it. I don't blame you.

I have a 12-foot ceiling height and I keep my chucks on a table at the head of my lathe. was chewing on ordering a 10 foot long, 12 ga section of Unistrut, running it on the ceiling starting at the table on the centerline of the lathe, bolted to trusses every 2 feet.

Unistrut is kinda funny. It's VERY stout, but at the same time, VERY flexy and not stout, and you've really got to consider every aspect of every installation individually, and without being in that room to investigate every related detail- I hope you can respect this when I say that I'm not going to tell you how to build one... I've done that, I've set up a 10 foot (well, 9 foot maybe) by six foot "X-Y" overhead hoist in the "work area" where I tinker on stuff. It can be done, and if done well, it can hold a surprising amount.

Here's some advice that I will give-

I think that if it's well built, it could do exactly what you're asking, and do it well. Make sure it's up well, tested (qualified) at WAY over what you're gonna ever actually do with it. People's opinions about safety ratios varies, but for my contraption, I picked up what I could qualify to an actual, reasonably close weight. I came up with 1500 pounds. 1550 ish actually, and called it fifteen hundred. My contraption successfully lifted that, and traversed all of it's X-Y motions. You could see movement in the strut. Minimal, it'd probably do that for quite a while, but not forever... From there, I rounded to 1500, divided by two, and it was a lot better. Some deflection measurements and some old college books told me that the load/fatigue sycles for that were probably fine occasional home use, but I could still see it move. I don't like that. So I divided by four, and called it a 375 pound max load. What's your comfort zone? Figure that out for your setup, write it on there somewhere, and hold yourself to it. Maximum capacities should not be feared, and maximum lifts should not be approached.

There's not a lot of room inside of a strut channel. There are some pre made trolleys that will pass over "some" small bolts, but for the most part, if you're going to bolt the strut channel to the ceiling, you've got two choices. Either a deeper strut channel, or you're making your own trolley and utilizing smaller bearings. There are "open" hangars so that you could hang the strut below the ceiling, but you give up a significant amount of head space. You might have room to do that if it doesn't "wreck" the rest of the space up there for something else. They also hang from rod, so it's prone to "swinging". I think you'd be happier, provided that everything's reasonably close to straight up there, to have it directly bolted and not hanging.

And then the trolleys. You want eight bearings, not four. You don't need extra weight capacity for this, but strut channel is not as consistent as you would expect it to be. The biggest place that this will bother you, and be (relatively) unfixable, is the rolled up "lip" inside the channel that the bearings ride on. Benefit number one- The extra points of contact smooth that out a lot, so it's not nearly as notchy and jumpy as you roll it along. Benefit two is that they bridge flats and valleys with low PSI, but still hit high spots with most of the load. That leads to an overall "smoothing" or "breaking in" of the running surfaces, so they end up getting better with time. And of course when they "wear in" to bearing on eight bearings all the way, all the time- There's hardly any pressure left on any given bearing (relatively speaking), it's not gonna keep wearing down.

And the weight rating- Some of those trolleys are rated pretty optimistically for what the strut channel is actually capable of on it's best day. Do not mistake what the trolly can hold as being comperable to what the strut can hold. The strut's capacity is 100 percent dependant on your installation of it.

And last- No. No, you are not that good even if you think you are. Even while you're setting up and testing, put an end stop in each end that catches the trolley, NOT the bearings. Make it stout as if it was gonna get used every now and then, and not a "one time emergency device". You will bump it. Make sure it's a non-event when it happens. The plate/body of the trolley doesn't care a bit, but bearings don't like getting smacked into that way.

That said, I do think this will be a very practical solution to the issue you're facing.

I've NEVER used one, or even seen it in person, but a little bit of quick geometry says that I don't like the way those treat the lathe. It obviously works, but I don't like it. I don't blame you.

Unistrut is kinda funny. It's VERY stout, but at the same time, VERY flexy and not stout, and you've really got to consider every aspect of every installation individually, and without being in that room to investigate every related detail- I hope you can respect this when I say that I'm not going to tell you how to build one... I've done that, I've set up a 10 foot (well, 9 foot maybe) by six foot "X-Y" overhead hoist in the "work area" where I tinker on stuff. It can be done, and if done well, it can hold a surprising amount.

Here's some advice that I will give-

I think that if it's well built, it could do exactly what you're asking, and do it well. Make sure it's up well, tested (qualified) at WAY over what you're gonna ever actually do with it. People's opinions about safety ratios varies, but for my contraption, I picked up what I could qualify to an actual, reasonably close weight. I came up with 1500 pounds. 1550 ish actually, and called it fifteen hundred. My contraption successfully lifted that, and traversed all of it's X-Y motions. You could see movement in the strut. Minimal, it'd probably do that for quite a while, but not forever... From there, I rounded to 1500, divided by two, and it was a lot better. Some deflection measurements and some old college books told me that the load/fatigue sycles for that were probably fine occasional home use, but I could still see it move. I don't like that. So I divided by four, and called it a 375 pound max load. What's your comfort zone? Figure that out for your setup, write it on there somewhere, and hold yourself to it. Maximum capacities should not be feared, and maximum lifts should not be approached.

There's not a lot of room inside of a strut channel. There are some pre made trolleys that will pass over "some" small bolts, but for the most part, if you're going to bolt the strut channel to the ceiling, you've got two choices. Either a deeper strut channel, or you're making your own trolley and utilizing smaller bearings. There are "open" hangars so that you could hang the strut below the ceiling, but you give up a significant amount of head space. You might have room to do that if it doesn't "wreck" the rest of the space up there for something else. They also hang from rod, so it's prone to "swinging". I think you'd be happier, provided that everything's reasonably close to straight up there, to have it directly bolted and not hanging.

And then the trolleys. You want eight bearings, not four. You don't need extra weight capacity for this, but strut channel is not as consistent as you would expect it to be. The biggest place that this will bother you, and be (relatively) unfixable, is the rolled up "lip" inside the channel that the bearings ride on. Benefit number one- The extra points of contact smooth that out a lot, so it's not nearly as notchy and jumpy as you roll it along. Benefit two is that they bridge flats and valleys with low PSI, but still hit high spots with most of the load. That leads to an overall "smoothing" or "breaking in" of the running surfaces, so they end up getting better with time. And of course when they "wear in" to bearing on eight bearings all the way, all the time- There's hardly any pressure left on any given bearing (relatively speaking), it's not gonna keep wearing down.

And the weight rating- Some of those trolleys are rated pretty optimistically for what the strut channel is actually capable of on it's best day. Do not mistake what the trolly can hold as being comperable to what the strut can hold. The strut's capacity is 100 percent dependant on your installation of it.

And last- No. No, you are not that good even if you think you are. Even while you're setting up and testing, put an end stop in each end that catches the trolley, NOT the bearings. Make it stout as if it was gonna get used every now and then, and not a "one time emergency device". You will bump it. Make sure it's a non-event when it happens. The plate/body of the trolley doesn't care a bit, but bearings don't like getting smacked into that way.

That said, I do think this will be a very practical solution to the issue you're facing.
thanks for the tips. I think the most that would ever get lifted by this is 90 - 100 lbs. haven't seen an 8-roller trolley for Unistrut yet.

I have a 100 lB 10" set-tru chuck, I use a handle that goes through the jaws to lift it up on the ways and then use a sled on the ways to slide it into place. Over 100 lbs then some form of lifting system would be recommended. Another HM member uses a movable cart with his chucks and a sky hook with a cable/ratchet lifting hoist. Chain hoist on a fixed track tend to be a bit cumbersome, in particular if you are regularly switching chucks.

Chuck Cradle.jpg

Back