Haimer 3D sensor

I was going to say that I don't think its worth it on a manual machine, but @Chipper5783 said it first. A regular edge finder, or wiggler is just as accurate. After all it was used for 80 or so years (wiggler, then edge finder). For a manual machine, I would spend your money elsewhere.
If you do a lot of CNC, well, I don't so I can't say. The cost of breaking a tip just makes it easier to say no..

I wouldn't say an edge finder is as accurate, but for less demanding work you would certainly not get the full benefit of the taster, and there's a reason these exist.

I got one through work and one of our new hires also got one to fill out his tool sheet (Long story on hiring) and when necessary their the ****!

Depending on the level of accuracy, or the lack of a complete indicating surface, say a broken die steel that is broke through a dowel hole or a broken/worn bearing flange, it will get you much closer than most means, plus you can also measure depth in one setup.

Fast? No.

Exacting for those times when you need a higher level of accuracy? Yeah, and it can also be used as an impromptu CMM right on the mill for checking or finding worn out and or broken parts.

The Wiggler, Edge finder, Co-Ax and 3D taster all have a place in my box.

Back