Haimer 3D sensor

PDB? I should try clocking mine but I rarely need better than a thou.

I have a Haimer Taster that a friend talked me into. He raved about how great they are. I rarely use it... It has something like a 5/8" shank, which doesn't fit an R8 collet

GsT

McM-C, you can have one Tuesday:
IMG_8264.jpeg

I had the opportunity to buy one for my manual mill and I really like it. If or when your budget allows I think you will be happy with it also.

A mechanical edge finder is independent of any runout whereas the Haimer and other probes are not and the spindle has to be clocked to the same position for accurate work. I routinely get .0001" repeatability using the edge finder. In fact, my standard operating procedure is to locate the edge three times to the same position to .0001" before accepting the position. As far as dealing with the radius shift, I most often use the 1/2" edge finder. When I have located the edge, I zero my DRO. Then I move in the direction of the edge by .2500" and rezero the DRO. Simple and no numbers to enter.

The Haimer does give you z axis location where edge finder can't but I also have a digital dial indicator that has .00005"resolution. I have the scale offset by .2500" and I mount the indicator and run it down until it reads zero and set my DRO to zero. My TTS tool system uses a height gauge and when the digital indicator reads zero in the TTS fixture, I zero the height gauge. All my tool offsets are referenced to that zero position. The advantage of this method is that I now have an external reference and I can replace a broken or worn tool and set its offset remotely. I adopted this method when I was working on some parts where my reference was lost during machining.

The key to all this is the TTS system which provides rapid and repeatable tool mounting when reinserting new tools. While I use it on the Tormach CNC, I also have adopted it for the RF30 clone.The only modification of the RF30 clone was to buy a 3/4" R8 collet and grind the face slightly so the TTS tool holders contact the spindle face.

I have followed the Haimer for a dozen years. Rather than a Haimer, I would probably opt for an electronic 3D probe as it will work with the Path Pilot software on my Tormach to automatically find all five surfaces of a part at the touch of a button. There is a gentleman in NZ who has developed a 3D touch probe with a virtually indestructible stylus. It would be my first choice as a candidate. https://hallmarkdesign.co.nz/probe

I misspoke, it's a 3/4" shank (I have 5/8"), and I see that I can get a collet for it, but it would still be a pain to use.

GsT
I have a handful of MT1 tooling for the Micro-Mill that I wanted to be able to use on the Mini-Mill and the solution I came up with was a 3/4” straight shank MT1 socket held in a 3/4” R8 collet; everything is hollow so I can secure the tooling with a 1/4-20 drawbar.

Repeatability and accuracy are not the same thing, dial edge finders can repeat with similar repeatability of 0.0001" and clocking is irrelevant as unless the same same collet in the same position is used for your tooling. There are higher end edge finders if required. Dial type are quicker than a wiggler and can be done statically. I previous tried other types of edge finders and accuracy was lacking.

Most of the mechanical dial type edge finders come in different shank sizes, mine is 12mm.

Back