Good source to buy metals for lathe projects

mac1911

Registered
Registered
I stopped by three scrap yards and they no longer sell over the counter or let you scavenge the piles.
I have not found a local “metal” supply that had small pieces and most are “structural” steel suppliers.
So any good online sources for smaller pieces.

My local scrap dealer knows that I have value and I am willing to help them with some electrical or mechanical
problem when needed. They let me roam freely. If I were to just bring by a load of scrap occasionally, it would
be different. It's important to look at the perspective of others from their side.

Also look at any local hydraulic supply houses--they may scrap stuff that comes in. That is borrowed knowledge, however--nobody does stuff like that around here. The only industry in these parts is making rules you guys hate :)

But truth to tell, most places like that are under strict local do-gooder laws that prevent people from scrounging. Getting that permission requires a high level of trust, and there just isn't a lot of that going around these days.

I'm friends with a local fabricator, who will buy stuff for me when I ask him to. But he's been in the local crowd since his school days, and so has my wife, and I also send him work whenever I can. That said, the amount of material I've needed from him has been negligible from his perspective.

I've looked at the online sources, and they are spendy, particularly with shipping charges. The secret seems to be out about hobbyist fabricators.

Rick "following this thread" Denney

I watch ebay and forums for drops/cut offs small enough to fit in USPS flat rate boxes.

What are you looking for?
Size, material

Have you looked at any U-Pull your parts automotive or farm equipment scrap yards.
Lots of shafting, especially with farm equipment.

Daryl
MN
I agree.
I use to sift through the scrap bin at the John Deere dealership next door when I was working.
They had lots of hydraulic shafting and other large components that could be cut and machined for whatever.

Here is one example of a shaft I grabbed. Free is a great price.
I would assume the first 3/16” is hard as heck?

Attachments

• 3107F5EE-DBD0-45FE-8D49-CD6BCBBC7A08.jpeg
    3107F5EE-DBD0-45FE-8D49-CD6BCBBC7A08.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm lucky to have a local metal supply that is friendly to hobby guys, and will sell small pieces although there is a cutting fee. They also offer free delivery for long stuff that wont fit in my truck. I'm only about a mile away, not sure they would be so willing to deliver $100 of steel if I were further away. They also sell drops at a significant discount (sold by weight but seems to run about 50% of full price and already smaller pieces). Sometimes they just give me stuff, like the other day I found a couple of short bars of mild steel round stock. It was 5lbs worth (would have been $5) and the guy just said I could have it.

They mostly supply welding materials, mild steel, stainless and aluminum. For more specialized materials I've used Hobby Metal Kits, and Online Metals as well as finding small stuff for sale on ebay and Craigslist.

Hobby Metal Kits sells stuff in 6" and 12" lengths and ships in pre-paid flat rate boxes so the shipping costs are not too bad.

Online metals you really have to work your order to find the sweet spot between quantity and shipping or the shipping quickly gets out of hand. It is usually cost prohibitive to make an order under $100 as their shipping will be almost as much as the material. Their shipping goes up quickly but then plateaus. When I order from Online I have typically made orders of around $300, and 6 foot lengths seem to be the best cost balance.

I service machine shops and I can purchase a variety of materials from them.
Plus there is an Alro store along my way, here is there price list from inside the store about two weeks ago.

Attachments

• 20220930_155839.jpg
    20220930_155839.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 34
Back