Glue for thin plastic

Still researching. Canon has not gotten back to me yet about the plastic type. The Loctite 2-part system is looking promising. I will need to glue in place but will put a small wax paper of similar to the metal underneath. Getting the bottom piece off seems to be a bigger disassembly adventure as several other pieces have to come off first.

Solvent type glues are not likely to bond plastic to the underlying metal. Adhesive type glues probably would bond plastic to metal.

Solvent type glues are not likely to bond plastic to the underlying metal. Adhesive type glues probably would bond plastic to metal.
The melted plastic can bond to other materials than itself (ask anyone who built styrene models as a kid and ended up with parts stuck to fingers when over applying the thin solvent).

The melted plastic can bond to other materials than itself (ask anyone who built styrene models as a kid and ended up with parts stuck to fingers when over applying the thin solvent).
The mechanics of what goes on there is different between skin and metal. The metal on the camera is fairly smooth and not porous. Fingers receive styrene solvent and melted sytrene plastic very well due to the rough texture and absorbency of skin. Even if it mildly sticks to metal it will not bond to metal.

Having taken apart and attempted repair of a $6k Canon DSLR camera I am here to affirm the sentiment of being reluctant to take it apart. There are tiny screws, hidden screws, things that snap together, and things that just snap, and it's never obvious which situation you're in until it's too late. There are FPC ribbon cables with the structural integrity of toilet paper connecting everything to everything; you finally get a cover loose and go to move it free and cause new damage. Everything in there is ESD-sensitive. The screws are apparently lighter than air and charged like a photon so as soon as you get them free of the assembly they just vanish into the void. Plus everything in there is sensitive to dust and metallic debris contamination, best done in a clean room. I am a strong proponent of DIY but opening a Canon camera is on a very short list of situations in which I will recommend "just send it to a professional."

If it were my camera I would scab something onto it with epoxy or other glue. Some kind of same-colored plastic sheet that wouldn't look out of place. I would test-glue things to it in the area under where the plastic sheet will be. When you find something that sticks, it will need to be taken off with a dremel or something. It will leave a mark but that mark will be covered up, never to be seen again by anyone.

Back