Glue for thin plastic

It's hard to imagine a camera having covers made of acetal/Delrin plastic. Polycarbonate seems much more likely. Taking it to a plastics dealer makes sense. They may recognize the material. Definitely do not use any type of Super Glue/CA on it. That will only make it harder to repair.

I don’t know if it’s applicable but I’ve been having good luck with my cheap HF plastic welder for HD repairs. I’ve not had much luck with glues so this has been a really good alternative. One of the tricks that’s been helpful off YT was cannibalizing pieces of the same plastic from other places to use as filler if needed. That and melting wire mesh into the area to be welded. Then smoothing over and sanding.

Loctite makes a 2-part "plastics bonder" that works for nearly every plastic made. If in doubt, I'd use that. The small kits are maybe $5, so it's not so exotic that it's cost prohibitive.

GsT
Similar to the Adhesive Promoters I mentioned in Post #9, but more convenient since the "activator" & glue are packaged together.

I would recommend sliding a barrier material(wax paper, alum foil) between the camera and case before gluing. Test the glue on the barrier material to see how it responds before final application. Mike

I would recommend sliding a barrier material(wax paper, alum foil) between the camera and case before gluing. Test the glue on the barrier material to see how it responds before final application. Mike

The best approach is not to glue the broken part in place: if the break is clean enough to tightly fit then it should be glued and clamped until cured, then any excess cleaned up and the part test-fitted.

Repairing parts for precision equipment takes time & patience (and a light hand).

I believe he said he didn't want to/couldn't remove the case from the camera. Otherwise I would agree. Mike

The best approach is not to glue the broken part in place: if the break is clean enough to tightly fit then it should be glued and clamped until cured, then any excess cleaned up and the part test-fitted.

I believe he said he didn't want to/couldn't remove the case from the camera. Otherwise I would agree. Mike

Yeah, I saw he preferred not to remove, but the danger of glue getting where you don’t want it and not being able to disassemble in the future should be considered.

I have been using UV glue for a few things lately, I wonder if it'll do the trick here for the camera cover, it hardens within seconds with the right UV light .

Back