G0709 Review

coolidge

Active User
Registered
8 years later and finally retired I'm back with a new G0709 1440 lathe! I'm starting a long-term review/mods thread here. First up some things I already noticed that have improved since my G4003G 8 years ago.

1. First thing I checked for was the G4003G's messed up motor mount/pulley which are also used on the G0709. Looks like they fixed the motor mount, drilling the holes in the proper location so the pulley isn't hanging half off the dang motor shaft. The pulley also changed, it fully engages the entire motor shaft vs dangling off and looks all around beefier.

MOD: That said I'm still going to machine a new motor mount to isolate the motor from the lathe via these isolation mounts - McMaster-Carr 9213K35

2. Love this G0709 stand. It's larger and the leveling feet holes are front and rear. It's already quite stable and the 4 inch leveling feet will stick out front/rear further increasing the depth to guard against tipping. It's also a bit lower than the G4003G which suits me. The old G4003G, wow tippy with its feet tucked in and on the sides.

The liftgate move was sketchy, note it's already leaning. As the G0709 arrives fully assembled the pallet is quite long. The freight terminal put it down onto 2 pallets front to back. It was so long the delivery driver couldn't turn it sideways to get it all the way onto the liftgate. I had to get my saws all out and he hacked off part of a pallet. We then used a couple of hand trucks to muscle the thing the rest of the way onto the liftgate as his pallet jack was already hanging out off the back.

ml07.jpg

I removed the crate and things look pretty good except for a few parts that had rattled loose and fell off. One of the end cover knurled nuts, a mystery socket head bolt were laying on the pallet. I did notice some things are loose. The red forward/reverse knob, the screws holding the end of the chip guard. So I'll be checking the tightness of everything as I clean.

Note the twisted messed up pallet situation...

ml03.jpg

Here's the aftermath. It took the better part of a day to get it off the pallets and onto the floor. Even the Grizzly pallet is too wide for the engine hoists. See that 2x6 in the middle of the Grizzly pallet, even those stick out too far. I had to chop off the ends of those front and rear. As for the freight company's pallets I had to saw them out from under the Grizzly pallet, while inching the hoists in. Ugh not fun but she's on the floor safely.

If I had to do it over again I'd just rent a forklift, probably take no more than 20 minutes to complete this entire job of unloading off the trailer and removing from the pallets.

ml02.jpg

Some things have not changed, the chip guard is still crooked front to rear, the tailstock end needs a spacer.

ml09.jpg

The face plate is large and heavy I like it! I see the foot brake is painted sloppy...I'm trying to ignore the runs of red paint.

ml08.jpg

That's it for now, it's time to clean up this mess and get ready for the DRO install.

8 years later and finally retired I'm back with a new G0709 1440 lathe! I'm starting a long-term review/mods thread here. First up some things I already noticed that have improved since my G4003G 8 years ago.

1. First thing I checked for was the G4003G's messed up motor mount/pulley which are also used on the G0709. Looks like they fixed the motor mount, drilling the holes in the proper location so the pulley isn't hanging half off the dang motor shaft. The pulley also changed, it fully engages the entire motor shaft vs dangling off and looks all around beefier.

MOD: That said I'm still going to machine a new motor mount to isolate the motor from the lathe via these isolation mounts - McMaster-Carr 9213K35

2. Love this G0709 stand. It's larger and the leveling feet holes are front and rear. It's already quite stable and the 4 inch leveling feet will stick out front/rear further increasing the depth to guard against tipping. It's also a bit lower than the G4003G which suits me. The old G4003G, wow tippy with its feet tucked in and on the sides.

The liftgate move was sketchy, note it's already leaning. As the G0709 arrives fully assembled the pallet is quite long. The freight terminal put it down onto 2 pallets front to back. It was so long the delivery driver couldn't turn it sideways to get it all the way onto the liftgate. I had to get my saws all out and he hacked off part of a pallet. We then used a couple of hand trucks to muscle the thing the rest of the way onto the liftgate as his pallet jack was already hanging out off the back.

View attachment 500225

I removed the crate and things look pretty good except for a few parts that had rattled loose and fell off. One of the end cover knurled nuts, a mystery socket head bolt were laying on the pallet. I did notice some things are loose. The red forward/reverse knob, the screws holding the end of the chip guard. So I'll be checking the tightness of everything as I clean.

Note the twisted messed up pallet situation...

View attachment 500224

Here's the aftermath. It took the better part of a day to get it off the pallets and onto the floor. Even the Grizzly pallet is too wide for the engine hoists. See that 2x6 in the middle of the Grizzly pallet, even those stick out too far. I had to chop off the ends of those front and rear. As for the freight company's pallets I had to saw them out from under the Grizzly pallet, while inching the hoists in. Ugh not fun but she's on the floor safely.

If I had to do it over again I'd just rent a forklift, probably take no more than 20 minutes to complete this entire job of unloading off the trailer and removing from the pallets.

View attachment 500226

Some things have not changed, the chip guard is still crooked front to rear, the tailstock end needs a spacer.

View attachment 500227

The face plate is large and heavy I like it! I see the foot brake is painted sloppy...I'm trying to ignore the runs of red paint.

View attachment 500228

That's it for now, it's time to clean up this mess and get ready for the DRO install.
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new machine. I really appreciate you taking the time to add the photos

I researched converting to VFD and a 3 Phase motor today but decided against it. With 8 speeds to select from I'm pretty much good to go. Now I may want to slow all the speeds down some (70 rpm is the lowest) but I can do that with a smaller $35 motor pully.

Progress

1. I got the giant mess cleaned up and all the debris hauled to the dump.

2. I sourced the Baldor motor locally, 2hp Farm Duty with sealed bearings, 7/8" shaft and epoxy paint. I looked at a made in China Marathon but for only $25 more I can get the made in USA Baldor. Plus the Marathon 90L bracket (same as the stock motor) was going to make the isolation motor bracket overly complicated. The feet are .472 inch thick and the isolation mount studs are only .625 inch.

3. I sourced the 7/8" bore 2 groove 2.85" diameter pulley. It's pretty scarce, I had to order it from the manufacturer. $35 very reasonable.

4. I moved the lathe over where it's going to live for a while. Got the leveling feet installed and up reasonably level. Put all the rigging gear away.

Tomorrow I'm ready to begin cleaning and inspection. The DRO also arrives tomorrow.

Baldor 2hp 230 single phase.jpg

I have never regretted buying a Baldor motor, and I've bought quite a few of them over the years. The first one I ever bought is still going strong on my mill.

GsT
Ditto this is my 4th Baldor on various machines. 5th if you count the bruiser Baldor cast iron grinder. The lathe is manufactured to a price point which I get hence a few upgrades. No different than when my house was built and the builder proposed to install cheap fall apart cabinets, countertops and $49 toilets. No seriously the toilets he budgeted were $49 LOL.

Ditto this is my 4th Baldor on various machines. 5th if you count the bruiser Baldor cast iron grinder. The lathe is manufactured to a price point which I get hence a few upgrades. No different than when my house was built and the builder proposed to install cheap fall apart cabinets, countertops and $49 toilets. No seriously the toilets he budgeted were $49 LOL.
Well, that explains my toilets...

GsT

Well, that explains my toilets...

GsT
It's funny, the builder puts quality into most of the house then tries to cheap out on the last 10%. I forced the builder to upgrade all these things and he was like that's such a waste of money. AFTER he came over and wanted to take pictures of all my upgrades. LOL No there's more, then he built a house up the street with all my upgrades. LMAO

It's funny, the builder puts quality into most of the house then tries to cheap out on the last 10%. I forced the builder to upgrade all these things and he was like that's such a waste of money. AFTER he came over and wanted to take pictures of all my upgrades. LOL No there's more, then he built a house up the street with all my upgrades. LMAO

I bought my house new, but did not "order" it, so had no input on the "trim". My impression is that the builder spent money where it would show (quality cabinets, etc) and went cheap on the stuff you wouldn't notice for a while. $49 toilets show as well as good ones. The worst part is the toilets I have seem non-standard, so replacement isn't so easy as it should be.

GsT

Hit a milestone today, I finally finished the cleaning. That was a lot of lathe to clean phew! The change gears were filthy. I really like the pull out chip tray and what's not obvious from any of the photos on Grizzly, there's a round grate for the coolant to drain through AND there's a pipe fitting on the underside. So one could drain coolant into an external coolant tank which makes way more sense to me than the enclosed festering thing inside the tailstock cabinet.

During the cleaning I found 2 mystery socket head screws that don't seem to go anywhere, and 1 missing set screw on the spindle cover. I still need to check for loose things and tighten as I found a couple things that were very loose.

I picked up 4 gallons of oil for the headstock yesterday. Tonight I'll install the electrical cord, oil and do the break in.

ml14.jpg

ml15.jpg

ml17.jpg

ml18.jpg

Oh man, that looks great!!!!

Can you share oil used? It is on my list of things to do.

Back