Furnas Switch Wiring on SB9

The looking-down picture is attached.
Yes, the jumper is on between 2 & 4. I can take it off...
White wires are on Stud 4: The Neutral and T1, T3

To be clear, the No. 1 Stud is on the R-side. That's how it's wired.

Attachments

• Furnas Switch looking down.JPG
    Furnas Switch looking down.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 6
Look at the sketch in post #5 again: with the handle up, terminal #1 is the upper leftmost one
Remove any extra jumpers on the switch

Last edited:
Ok, I took the jumper off.
It runs at full speed forward with a lot of motor noise - an abnormal buzzing sound.
When I switch to reverse, I can push start the motor in Reverse or Forward.

You took the jumper off and.... did you double-check the wiring? The switch is numbered with respect to the handle.
I think you may have mis-counted the terminals- I saw two white wires on terminal #3; ... they should be on #4.
Look at the sketch, you'll see. Draw it out on paper then turn the paper upside down if that helps.
Recheck each wire

RSB4topdown.jpeg

Last edited:
You are correct, it should be like your last drawing. I have wired the switch like the #5 post. However, My OFF-switch is positioned 180 degree out from your drawing. Look at the picture in post #21. I think I have it wired it ass-backwards. Im away from my shop and computer so I cant send pictures now. I’ll send them tomorrow afternoon and would like to confirm all with you before I rework it.

I believe you did wire it backwards or partially backwards. Once you straighten that out it should work fine.
If the switch handle is pointing down, the terminal numbers transpose (swap) left to right, top to bottom

The six terminal pattern seems to throw people- Don't know why but I have seen it before

Last edited:
Thanks for all your support! I realized the problem a few days ago when I put your drawing upside down, and it hit me; then I got busy with work projects… Sorry, I should have realized the issue much sooner ☹.

Please review the attached drawing. I think I have the 110v and Motor wires going to the correct switch studs.

Attachments

• Furnas Sw-Forward Handle Wiring.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 5
There you go- that's how it should look
If the motor rotation is opposite from the switch handle then just swap T6 and T8

Transposition of 2D images is an ability that some people find easier than others- probably inherited

Last edited:
IT WORKS!!!

The only issue was it ran backward. F runs it backward. I switched the T8 and T6 wires... and all fixed:)
Protecting and placing all the wires on the Furnas cover and the motor box was challenging.
BUT it's Done! The final wiring diagram is attached for your reference.

I can't thank you enough for your help with this project! I really appreciate your helpful and very responsive replies.
They led me through the installation, and I learned from my mistakes:)

Dan

Attachments

• Furnas Sw-Forward Handle Wiring.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
You're very welcome- my pleasure. We're all here to learn that's what it's all about
They don't give you much room in those switches I agree
Enjoy the site

Last edited:
Back