Electric motor start capacitor

You say in the text that the machine came with a Singer motor. However, the motor shown is a Hoover. The motor on my Sanford surface grinder is also a 1/2 hp Hoover. In this case it's a 3,450-rpm version rather than the 1,725-rpm version. Sanford was also out of NJ. They probably sourced the motors locally.

Having said that Singer did make similar size motors. We bought a Singer oil furnace for the family cottage back in 1979. It was replaced a few years ago with a different brand natural gas furnace. I saved the blower and motor to use as an air mover in the garage.

Higher voltage is always ok with start caps. And these are non-polar caps, they work either way. A smaller microfarad value will still start
the motor, it will just be slower to spin up and have less starting torque
Sounds like the original one is indeed bad- try the Baldor one to test

The bleeder resistor is just for safety- it drains off the charge so you don't get a shock when handling it- doesn't affect the start up
connected the capacitor from the Baldor and the motor spun up instantly, even though it was a lower rated capacitor. confirms that the older capacitor was bad. I've learned that the higher the voltage rating, the bigger the casing of the capacitor, which makes sense and is why the one from the Baldor won't fit the housing.

ordered this one. about 3/4" shorter than the stock one, will need to put some type of plug in the housing to hold it up. same brand as the Baldor one, made in USA. free shipping.

PXL_20240911_191117187.MP.jpg

Last edited:
You say in the text that the machine came with a Singer motor. However, the motor shown is a Hoover. The motor on my Sanford surface grinder is also a 1/2 hp Hoover. In this case it's a 3,450-rpm version rather than the 1,725-rpm version. Sanford was also out of NJ. They probably sourced the motors locally.

Having said that Singer did make similar size motors. We bought a Singer oil furnace for the family cottage back in 1979. It was replaced a few years ago with a different brand natural gas furnace. I saved the blower and motor to use as an air mover in the garage.
yes, Hoover. don't know how I came up with Singer, Jeez.

received the new capacitor just now. did not picture how much smaller it would be. same max voltage range and same MF rating. hope this works out.

PXL_20240914_183540747.MP.jpgPXL_20240914_183550654.MP.jpg

Back