Drawing Involute Gears

re my post #19, I did read the user notes pertaining to equations posted in Grabcad, but I'm just not clear on what this particular step is doing.

Attachments

• SNAG-05-07-2024 12.26.40 PM.jpg
    SNAG-05-07-2024 12.26.40 PM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for posting on this @RSC77 I actually saved your prior SW file somewhere & forgot I had it. Very useful! Hopefully this is a spot to ask you some clarifying questions?

I used it to develop metric gears by toggling units & defining: Module, Number of teeth & Pressure angle. Can you confirm that the other downstream equations are applicable to typical metric gears, or are there other adjustments I should be should be aware of?

Cut-Extrude2 is the shaft hole diameter which I was able to modify no problem. But what are the *DCGTBC (suppressed) features? The underlying sketch to first feature in tree shows the big orange circle.

Have you ever done a similar helper file for internal ring gears?
Hi,
The "Robust Involute Spur Gear Generator Solidworks"
in editing the EQ for the tooth count (Number of teeth) and the pressure angle...
if the tooth count goes above a certain value that makes the DCGTBC (Dedendum circle greater than the Base Circle)
The model will bring into play a different set of features (in the feature tree) and suppress others so as not the "BREAK" the model
So it will work with all tooth counts.

Yes it will work fine for metric gears once you do the Module thing
& NO I have never had a need for internal gears

I did this gear model back in 2015 after an exhaustive search for a GOOD Involute model-gear that I could use
to make some special gear pairs that had the same pitch diameter but would have to have different numbers of teeth for each pair.
after I did that model (which I did not post) I made this posted model to share. I Wire EDMed my special gears so I did (I am retired now)
not need to follow standard "GEAR Pressure Angles" etc...

Enjoy

The OpenSCAD program with the BOSL2 library will make gears:

openscad_gear.jpg

Both the program and library are open-source, with no restrictions on how you use the files you make with it.

Last edited:
The OpenSCAD program with the BOSL2 library will make gears:

View attachment 497286

Both the program and library are open-source, with no restrictions on how you use the files you make with it.
Likewise, FreeCAD can make gears as well, for those that are less familiar with the command line. Open source, works on Windows, Mac and Linux, no restrictions on use, or the number of files open...

Back