Deep drilling

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The fishing bats I make have a 9.5" deep, 1.625 diameter big end bore. I do an 11/16 pilot hole, and go 3 steps up to the 1.625, my tail stock is showing wear in the bore that the spindle rides out on. Would an indexible insert drill be a better choice, and what one? boring bars are tedious, and time consuming.

Last edited:
Tool Post Drilling, either Morse Taper in a QCTP Holder, Silver Deming clamped in a boring bar holder or drill chuck.

Mike , you want to use a spade drill . I'm 2512 miles from home but leaving Weds. morning and heading home . I'll be in touch . :grin: I do have insert drills that would blow that out pretty quickly also . Insert drills will cut faster than you could feed by hand and will also break the chips . They'll fit your boring bar holders , so throw the feed on and sit back and have a cocktail . :encourage: FWIW , I used to be a deep driller but ever since the bladder cancer , I'm in the small tooling arena . :(

Thanks Dave, get an extension.:rolleyes::grin: I would have to drill, and tap an anti rotation strap/block for the QCTP to gaurantee zero movement of the post under pressure, but it could be done. I have the tailstock apart, the threads are clean, it looks like something hard imbeded in the shaft, and under the pressure of the drilling gauled the bore pretty good. I presision stoned the spindle shaft, and 600 emery clothed the bore with a 2" bar, but I have no way to reach, and feel if I have it knocked all the way down. I'm in the process of cleaning the bore real well to get rid of abrasives.

The insert drills OR the spade drills can be mounted on your tool post . You can also hook a up coolant line as these have thru the shank coolant . The chips flow out , no having to peck .

I don't know anything about the item you're making, but just from the photos you've shown, it sure looks like a project that would benefit by starting with thick wall tubing rather than solid stock. I'm guessing that you've probably considered that and maybe it just isn't feasible ?
Just food for thought.
Ted

Thanks Ted, the knurled grip is ~1.200-1.250 in diameter depending on hand size, and the barrel is just under 2" after finishing cuts. The grip inner diameter is .875, and the barrel ID is 1.625.
Hi Terry, yes it's on the new lathe.

Yeah, it is something to fix, but it was educational pulling the tail stock apart. I have never been able to pull the spindle all the way in to the beginning graduations, and while I was using the precision stones I found that the bottom channel for the key way was preventing it from retracting. There is some kind of deformation there that stoning, and polishing made a big difference. I didn't go any farther than that in case I would mess something up. Once the foreign object was smoothed out, and bore cleaned it is back to being very smooth for the rest of the length in, and out

Back