Deckel FP1 and accessories

6061T6

Registered
Registered
Dear fellow hobby machinists,
I am very excited that I just received a beautiful new Deckel FP1. The previous owner has owned and cared for it for about 14 years but with numerous other larger machines including DMG Mori 5 axis and numerous Haas machines each larger than a typical studio apartment, he wanted to make room. This machine is exceptionally well maintained. I knew from talking to the previous owner and his friend who works in his shop that they both cared a lot for this machine. It comes with all the accessories I would want to use. And a few that I don't have an immediate use for including the famous helical milling attachment. They all appear lightly used if used at all. I also have tons of those special Deckel collets and various adapters, boring heads etc. I paid next to nothing for the whole thing so it was literally the machine deal of a lifetime.

It is an FP1 made for the US market so all lead screws and markings are imperial. Not that it matters to me as I will use a DRO and do both imperial and metric parts.

The previous owner and his friend delivered it, leveled it and taught me what sort of precision is possible with a machine like this. My other mill is a nice Taiwanese benchtop (PM728VT) and this is an upgrade. But I was not prepared for HOW precise this machine is. I used to be happy with tramming to about 1/2 thou over 12" on X and about 1-2 thou on Y. It is near impossible to tram the Y on that machine anyway. And it didn't usually hold tram after one heavy cut.

The Deckel was leveled and trammed to less than 1.5 in 10 thou (!) on both axes with far less effort. Not bad for a machine from the 60s. I expect it to hold tram as everything is so rigid on this.

Considering how most people usually end up with an FP1 - buying from a dealer sight unseen or picking it up from storage from the estate of a deceased person, I was exceptionally lucky.

The machine paint is original so it is not perfect after 60+ years. But the ways and other critical surfaces are in nice shape. Everything feels so smooth and tight after my experience with Asian machines.
Other than the mill with fixed plate, everything else is in boxes. I cleaned the machine yesterday and filled it with gear oil.

There is lots of stuff now strewn around my garage in boxes and pallets that I will clean up over the next several days.

Will post photos soon.

Last edited:
Congrats! I have owned one for many years plus my FP-2NC. It will amaze you what they can do. What version is it and what type of collets mt-4 or Cat40?

Bunch of moving photos.
It is the MT4 version. That’s no problem as the previous owner adapted it to the Tormach TTS.
I also have a ton of collets if I ever want to use the weird Deckel MT4.
It also has the Deckadaptor which allows you to use R8.

Attachments

• IMG_5944.jpeg
    IMG_5944.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5940.jpeg
    IMG_5940.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5920.jpeg
    IMG_5920.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 34
Helical milling table , dividing head table and the all important faceplate, and tilt table.

Attachments

• IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5651.jpeg
    IMG_5651.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5653.jpeg
    IMG_5653.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 16
Congrats! I have owned one for many years plus my FP-2NC. It will amaze you what they can do. What version is it and what type of collets mt-4 or Cat40?
Hello, it is the mark 2 version from the early 60s. With MT4 spindle. The previous owner has a shop with the best toys …. ahem tools and would have preferred the SK40 taper. But he eventually standardized on the TTS. For its power (2hp), it should be more than adequate.

He found a set of MT4 collets on eBay with 1/2 13 thread and made a drawbar for it. Then he took the 3/4 collet and belt sanded it till it was flush with the spindle nose. Now we have a TTS compatible system! This works for me because my other mill has an R8 taper and I can use TTS across both machines. I will eventually convert the 728 to CNC. But will first scrape or lap it for perfect tram.

The old MT4 collets and drawbar are still there

Quiz: mystery attachment I found in the box of goodies.

Any Deckel experts recognize it? I know what it is. I’ll post the answer in 48 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 13
Back