Crazy number of different thread systems

I am unhappy to report that Whitworth-less is alive and well attaching bajonets in ion exchange columns. Also known as the "G" series threads. Scream. Especially ire-filled because one of the shops messed up the female threads (oversize a lot), made custom males, and didn't tell anyone

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I had a whitworth goof the other day , I made a new depth stop nut for my mill and was surprised when the 1/2 inch NC thread didn't go on.

Ahhhhhhhhh 1/2 inch whitworth , not like I just ordered the 1/2 inch NC tap just for this part or anything :bawling: well at lest I now have 1/2 inch NC and whitworth taps ay ? :)

Stu

I had a whitworth goof the other day , I made a new depth stop nut for my mill and was surprised when the 1/2 inch NC thread didn't go on.

Ahhhhhhhhh 1/2 inch whitworth , not like I just ordered the 1/2 inch NC tap just for this part or anything :bawling: well at lest I now have 1/2 inch NC and whitworth taps ay ? :)

Stu

Are you sure? The Whitworth would have been 1/2-12 with a 55 degree thread. older (very old) US stuff had a spell where they used 1/2-12 but with the familiar 60 degree threads. It's pretty old though, pre WW1 anyhow. I think it was the original UNC standard. I'm hesitating on that though. It's "somebody's" standard though, here in the US. Whosever standard ,it was not a "different" standard from the 1/2-13, it was updated to 1/2-13.

Are you sure? The Whitworth would have been 1/2-12 with a 55 degree thread. older (very old) US stuff had a spell where they used 1/2-12 but with the familiar 60 degree threads. It's pretty old though, pre WW1 anyhow. I think it was the original UNC standard. I'm hesitating on that though. It's "somebody's" standard though, here in the US. Whosever standard ,it was not a "different" standard from the 1/2-13, it was updated to 1/2-13.

The funny thing is I checked the thread with the 1/2 inch clamp set nut, fitted perfectly , which now I realise means the clamp set is also Whitworth , ahhhhh. I didn't check the TPI , when I did it made scene why it didn't fit :)

you might be right about it being 12tpi with a 60 degree angle as it does look less rounded than the clamping set threads (just by eye ball)

I am surprised that it's whitworth , is an RF30 type mill. Didn't even occur to me that it would be anything other than NC or metric , ow well good reminder to double check everything first :oops2:

Stu

an RF30 type mill.

Without more specifics, that might be one of those threads that match NO standards, but is actually a "close enough to something that it'll work" style of thread. I don't know the brand or origin, I'm not picking on anybody specifically, but in addition to all the "proper" standards, in the modern world, the "close enough" stuff is plenty real as well. Good luck EVER finding a chart on those.

I don’t get the 6-32 hate?

I’ve done 4-40 and smaller in tool steel by hand to about 3/8” deep without too many issues.

I do have some tap guides for small stuff like this, but they don’t always fit the application.

It’s all in the wrist.
Same here. In my RC airplane building I drill and tap down to 1.5mm and 4-40 all the time. I have a 2-56 tap but it's scary looking. The model railroad guys go to #0-80 and maybe smaller. Watchmakers use really little stuff.

For those that think there are too many screw thread standards today, think what it was like before there were standards!

Same here. In my RC airplane building I drill and tap down to 1.5mm and 4-40 all the time. The model railroad guys go to #0-80 and maybe smaller. Watchmakers use really little stuff.

For those that think there are too many screw thread standards today, think what it was like before there were standards!
I remember reading an article, many years ago, in late "60's" vintage Readers Digest where the Japanese had taken a wire the size of ha hair (their description not mine) and they had drilled a hole through it. Being proud of their achievement they decided they would send it to the only other group they thought could/would appreciate it, the Swiss, thinking they might want to buy the technology to drill such small accurate holes. They shipped it off then awaited to hear from the Swiss, 5 or 6 weeks later they get a package from the Swiss and open it to find their wire so they place it under a microscope to see if the hole is there; and it is truly the same wire and upon inspection discovered that the Swiss had threaded the hole for them.

Back