Crazy number of different thread systems

And that my friends, is what a lathe with thread cutting capabilities is for.
What lathe can cut all those threads?

Outside of a CNC lathe, I know of only a couple. @WobblyHand's ELS can program custom threads. My G0602 with the Clough42 ELS can be programmed to cut a custom thread by modifying the firmware and a a kwackers on Clough42's github page has written a mod to the firmware that allows custom metric threads from the control panel in .1mm/rev increments. Unfortunately, none for inch threads yet.

I am unhappy to report that Whitworth-less is alive and well attaching bajonets in ion exchange columns. Also known as the "G" series threads. Scream. Especially ire-filled because one of the shops messed up the female threads (oversize a lot), made custom males, and didn't tell anyone

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

If you look back in time you’ll find that many of the non standard and obsolete thread styles were first used by machine tool builders. They used “proprietary” fasteners in an attempt to corner the repair and replacement parts markets

Thread styles and pitches only started to be standardized shortly before WWII. The military pushed for standardization to minimize both fastener and tool inventory.

Thread styles and pitches were fairly standardized until the early 1990’s when the Japanese started using “proprietary” threads on construction and agricultural equipment. Again in an attempt to corner the replacement parts market

I avoid 6-32s like the plague- of course industry loves them
I read somewhere there are a good two dozen different threads in 1/4" size

So it's not handy and helpful?
I'll assume you found it interesting and posted it in hope of being helpful.
However, the original is created by a Brit and clearly biased to that environment.
The compilation doesn't even include NPT or NPS standards, which are quite commonly used in America.
I don't do museum quality restorations or work on truly archaic instruments, so no. I'm not going to bother to copy the file to my computer.
Regarding hobby machinists, I suspect that list will create more heat than light. YMMV

I'll assume you found it interesting and posted it in hope of being helpful.
However, the original is created by a Brit and clearly biased to that environment.
The compilation doesn't even include NPT or NPS standards, which are quite commonly used in America.
I don't do museum quality restorations or work on truly archaic instruments, so no. I'm not going to bother to copy the file to my computer.
Regarding hobby machinists, I suspect that list will create more heat than light. YMMV

I never said it was comprehensive. Just helpful to have on hand for free. I'll print it out and put it into a folder in case I need to find a strange or obsolete size fastener. I've got lots of places to find NPT and NPS as does anyone with Google. It's the odd ball stuff that can be a problem.

Pretty neat page.

I printed it off as a PDF.
I have book on thousands thread types and sizes.
Now CNC there probably even more.
This one just this year a Chinese thread they a sub size thread. 10x20mm
I know what happen they sharpen there tape so they just the matching to same size.

The same thing happen to me thing re-theard all parts and never shapoen the taps any more. I want standard size

Dave

I don’t get the 6-32 hate?

I’ve done 4-40 and smaller in tool steel by hand to about 3/8” deep without too many issues.

I do have some tap guides for small stuff like this, but they don’t always fit the application.

It’s all in the wrist.

Back