[Newbie] Cracked cross slide and micrometer carriage stop

Are you sure that's a crack on the cross slide? I notice there's a matching line at 90 degrees to it, and another meeting them both at exactly the same place. Too exact for it to be a random crack I'm thinking. May just be a set of scribed lines?

Agreed, and I do it all the time, but don't fall asleep with a hard stop! Focusing to cut the power feed before hitting the stop adds a little excitement to keep you awake. :)

A drop indicator with a mag-back is a more forgiving way to accomplish the same thing.
An indicator on a magnet is definitely more forgiving. It's much harder for me to get a perfectly flat surface than with a hard stop.

Are you sure that's a crack on the cross slide? I notice there's a matching line at 90 degrees to it, and another meeting them both at exactly the same place. Too exact for it to be a random crack I'm thinking. May just be a set of scribed lines?
Those do appear to be deliberately scribed lines.

It could quite possibly be a scribed line. However, the line on the right seems to track at an oblique and random angle off into the casting. I haven't etched it yet, so I'll see. Been spending a frustrating day trying to figure out my precision level. It seems I need a precision level to level my precision level...

Definitely scribe lines, the angle change at the ends is from the scribe hitting the compound or getting to the where the surface ended.

You do not need a level surface to calibrate a precision level. there are many YouTube vids showing how it is done.

That cross slide doesn't look cracked, it looks like scribe lines. I could be wrong, but unless you see the lines on the bottom, I'm betting that the user was marking this for some other purpose.

Agreed, and I do it all the time, but don't fall asleep with a hard stop! Focusing to cut the power feed before hitting the stop adds a little excitement to keep you awake. :)

A drop indicator with a mag-back is a more forgiving way to accomplish the same thing.

I do that a lot , is a bit less scary :) The hard stop is good so long as you don't get distracted and might be better for a bore where catching the bottom might also be very bad.

Stu

Back