Cool foundry mold patterns for machinery

Mill Lee farm

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Big auction sat at a warehouse packed full of woodworking machine company stuff.
Tons of wood mold patterns of various machine parts and huge sections of large machinery.

Very very cool to see!

No one bid on them… I was racking my brain on what I could do with them and came up with little…

Anyway, I thought I’d share some pics and video :big grin:

Everything you see is wood even though it may look metal due to the painting

D38BEFD8-ABD1-4466-AE37-41EA725763BF.jpeg1261D430-6117-418A-8913-D391030CF8B4.jpeg9EDDA98C-CD24-4698-B1F8-E734B1E2A4F4.jpegA6FD6DB3-35C1-434D-B40B-F11F15E9264C.jpegF9019506-67C5-481C-81ED-1A905399CA6D.jpeg719EBE75-D73E-4852-B9E9-7151F2B791F4.jpeg

No problem! I now realize that although I took some decent photos and that little video, I didn’t do most of it justice!
There was SOOO much vintage stuff packed in this ga-gillion sq-ft warehouse that I couldn’t spend much time on the patterns.
YES all those tri-wall totes in those photos were FULL

I’m heading back over this week and will maybe try to get some better pictures detailing stuff.
I find cast iron foundry stuff fascinating and I’ll bet just knowing how industry actually designed and MADE patterns would be worthwhile to hobby foundry peoples?

FYI the patterns DID find a home with Bob, a nice guy from Vermont who bought a significant portion of the auction and is going into the Vintage Industrial Furniture business with his daughter…
I’ll probably head over on Friday to help him and the seller load the semi-trailer that he decided to hire o_O

IDK, I just enjoy being involved in all of this rigging stuff! Just ask @mmcmdl LOL

Auction winners are picking up their stuff the beginning of this week so I’ll probably stop by and see if the seller needs help after work…. Since it’s 1/2 mile away… <eek>

Used to be I went to auctions and such every weekend . Now , only occasional as most of the local shops are long gone . We DID get an antique red wagon from New York that the son picked up when coming down a few days ago . Another yard ornament for flowers that the wife's been after for 20 years now . If you ever run across one of those old time hand operated well pumps let me know . It's also on her list . :grin:

One of my uncles was a pattern maker and as a result did a lot of other wood working as well, including building a 35 foot+ sailboat in his backyard in Baltimore (I don't know how long it took him, but I remember it being there for at least five years).

My humble contribution, an assignment in high school (BPI) 1967:

Anvil Pattern 1967.jpg
Only 6" long. Unfortunately, I never took Foundry so didn't have an opportunity to use cast one in Aluminum (well before my time they used Brass, but Aluminum was a lot cheaper).

Last edited:
Back