Clausing 6913 weight and best single phase to 3 phase option.

Phase Perfect Simple converter is not a static converter, it generates the 3rd leg/Phase like a VFD, but uses extensive filtering to produce a sine wave output. In order to handle locked rotor demands of motors starting, the VFD portion is significantly oversized, the other two legs are passed through on those models that do not have a voltage doubler. If you were to try to use a standard VFD as a 3 phase power source it typically would need to be oversized by a factor of 4-5X and you still would need something like a sine wave output filter to give a somewhat smoothed sine wave output. I am not aware of other manufactures that have a true digital phase converter for single phase to 3 phase in these smaller sized converters. A static converter can cause some issues with surface finish with lathes and surface grinders due to the irregular power delivery, this would not be a problem with a mill and most other machinery. At the cost of a static converter, one would be better off just going with a VFD if one is comfortable with their wiring skills. The Automation Direct GS21 and GS31 series have good performance, English manuals and tech support. Their programming is fairly straight forward, I have suggested parameter files for use with a lathe. There are other VFD's in a similar price range, that would also work well.

Thank you for the information. It's good to see that they have held up over a long time.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to your group. So please forgive me if this has been answered somewhere previously. Does anyone know how much a Clausing 6913 weighs. The machine I am getting has a 3 HP 3 phase motor. I only have 220v single phase. Is it best to use a VDF or a Pro-Line Rotary Phase Converter PL-7? Any suggestions, pro/cons, would be appreciated. Thanks.
I know VFDs are all the rage here and will admit they do have some advantages.
When I bought my lathe I went with a rotary. Got a 7 1/2 hp three phase motor for $50, bought a kit from the place below, an enclosure box, some bits of wire, etc and made my own for about $200 all together.
The kit came with simple instructions - and I ain't no electric guru.
I now have 7 - count em - three phase machines in my shop and can run Any of them off that one rotary phase converter and have run my bandsaw and lathe or bandsaw and drill press at the same time many times.

Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into this.

Back