Broke off carbide drill in hole.

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know i saw a thread on this some where here. Now I can't find it, I thing they used some kind of acid to desolve out? Tried useing a carbide end mill amazon carbide to mill it out, and it just heated up and smoked I had the mill PM 935tv all the way max rpms. The drill is just cheap carbide as well. Any help would be appreciated as always.
CH

I think you are thinking of alum but that's for a steel drill or tap in an aluminum workpiece I believe
I don't think anything dissolves carbide- how about boiling hydrofluoric acid? That would probably dissolve you and your garage LOL
Walter White would approve

Last edited:
Can you drill through from the other side and drive it out with a punch?

I think you are thinking of alum but that's for a steel drill or tap in an aluminum workpiece I believe
I don't think anything dissolves carbide- how about boiling hydrofluoric acid? That would probably dissolve you and your garage LOL
Walter White would approve
Maybe.

I would think some kind of a diamond drill is what you might need. Maybe something like a core drill?

Can you drill through from the other side and drive it out with a punch?
No, the material is hardened steel, and it is about 3.1/2-in long. That would be chore for sure.

I agree with breaking the drill up with a punch.
If you can't find a good area of the drill to hit with the punch you can use a small dremel grinding tool to put a flat surface.
Your patience and persistence will be rewarded. However if the drill is in a deep hole. A sinker EDM may be the best way to go. Good Luck

Back