Apple Charging Station

Well I suppose I’m just advertising my ignorance here. But isn’t the reason it’s made of plastic because they put magic smoke inside, to wirelessly charge devices?

I think the aluminum will not interfere with the induction charging coils.

what is the plan to run the wires for the induction coils? Are you going to drill channels in the Aluminum, mill slots or just run on the surface?

I would make a test part and, well, test

The regular Qi coils are open and leak magnetic field out the back. They are high enough frequency they will heat the Aluminim. Maybe not badly... might just need to make the cavity bigger and fill with plastic

The new magsafe ones might have a closed magnetic back and solve this nicely.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

The plan is to use stock charging pads. I plan to cut slots in the back/bottom of the parts to run the stock wires. The only section that would be at a visible is the back of the vertical plate. I may make a cover for that if necessary.
I realize now that I have already screwed up. Order of operations; duh... Now that I have cut the vertical with angled sides I have no way to hold it in a vise. That should have been done last!

Last edited:
I would make a test part and, well, test

The regular Qi coils are open and leak magnetic field out the back. They are high enough frequency they will heat the Aluminim. Maybe not badly... might just need to make the cavity bigger and fill with plastic

The new magsafe ones might have a closed magnetic back and solve this nicely.

I have one stuck to a piece of aluminum now. No heating.

You need to put the device to be charged on there too. Qi chargers do a handshake before powering up the coils to avoid heating up random stuff laid on top!

This is what I have been using with no heating at all:
1728184583599.png
Also the chargers themselves are aluminum cased. How would that work out if they got inductively heated?

Back